Question: Can I Make A Axolotl Hide Out Using This?

cutecupcake

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been wanting to make a hide for my two axolotls and i bought this caulk at lowes the other day, but i'm un-sure if i should/can use it for inside my aquarium. PLEASE help me out.
{Other files/pics are what i had in mind of doing the hides}

Shop GE 9-oz Clear Silicone Window and Door Caulk at Lowes.com

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 675
  • Plastic-Container-Salamander-Hide-220x147.jpg
    Plastic-Container-Salamander-Hide-220x147.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,450
You can use it as long as it has no mold or mildew inhibitors, or says on the cartridge not to use in aquariums or below water line. You might have to call the company that makes it to find out if it has any additives etc.. Any 100% silicone product is safe, you just have to make sure there is no added products. I believe GE silicone 1 Window and Door is safe. Also, let it dry for at least twice the recommended curing time before putting it in your aquarium, just to ensure that it is fully dry and won't harm anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back