Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling and pH during cycling?

Leash44

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of cycling my first axolotl tank. I am doing the fishless cycle process with liquid ammonia (which was very hard to find without added surfacants or lemon scent lol, I finally found it at ACE Hardware). I am currently at 4 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate. I am just waiting for the nitrites to start rising then the nitrates, and testing daily with the API master test kit, but today I tested my PH for the first time and it is at around 8.2. I know that is a bit high, but do I need to be worrying about what the PH is during the cycle process? My tap water tests at 7.2, but the tank water was off the chart on the regular ph range, so I used the high ph test solution and it was 8.2. Is this because of the liquid ammonia, and it will even out and stabilize once my bacteria colonize the tank and begin the nitrification process?

Just wondering if I even need to be looking at pH at this point in the cycling process.

In case it helps, this is how my levels have been:

I started with fish food, which was messy and even using more held in an unused washed knee high panty hose sock was clouding up the tank horribly and not going any higher than .50.

12/18 - .50, 0, 0
12/19 - .25, 0, 0
12/20 - .50, 0, 0
12/21 - .25, 0, 0

At this point I found and started using the liquid ammonia source.

12/22 - 4.0, 0, 0
12/23 - 4.0, 0, 0
12/24 - 4.0, 0, 0
12/25 - 4.0, 0, 0
12/26 - 4.0, 0, 0, pH 8.2

I have two sponge filters going, one in each back corner with a tank divider in the middle. I've also added a plastic plant from my well established fish tank hoping to help the process, and have been adding seachem stability although I know it is debatable as to wether that helps at all.

Hopefully I am close to getting a rise in nitrites.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Yes, ammonia raises pH.

You will need to do a rather large water change once it cycles, and all should be good after that.

Note: if you are an experienced fish keeper, one big difference between fish and axolotls is that axolotls are more sensitive to nitrates than most fish, so you need to check nitrate levels regularly too.

Good luck with your future axolotls! :happy:

Leash44

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, I have much experience with regular fish. I used to work in a fish store and have had various tanks over the last 20 years since then. So I am familiar with the old standard of a fish-in cycle starting with just a few, with testing and water changes etc. and always did very well with my water parameters. This is my first time using the fishless method and spiking the ammonia so quickly on purpose, so I was a bit shocked to see the pH that high. That has never happened with my other tanks lol.

I'm very excited to get my axolotls, they are just the cutest things ever! I've spent at least the last month reading everything I can about them so I can take care of them properly and learn what to do differently than fish. This forum has been a wealth of information!

C'mon tank, cycle! The waiting is the hardest part. I want to order them like... yesterday!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1