Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I.i.apuanus help

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Hi,
I had four alpine newts of the apuanus subspecies. They were doing fine, eating well enough. A few days ago 3 of the 4 of them started going on land. I took this as a sign the water quality wasn't good enough. I tested the water- Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm and Nitrate 5-10ppm (I couldn't tell). After that I assumed they were getting too warm, I stuck a thermometer in and it was fluctuating from 17C to 19C. I am still trying to figure out why they are on there little floating cork bark... This morning I found two dead, they appeared to have drowned, but this might not be correct. I find this unlikely because they are such an aquatic species. Does anyone know what has caused the deaths? There are no visual wounds or marks. A few weeks before, I had some Salamandra larvae, all three of the larvae died within a 24 hour period. The only thing I can think of that may have killed them was the Tubifex they were eating, the alpines were eating the same thing. I can only assume there was something dodgy in the Tubifex?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That sucks Jake. It sounds like some kind of disease to me, I haven't lost a single one right from them being eggs. Do you think they could have picked something up off one of your other species? I think I'd strip the tank and disinfect everything that they've been in contact with.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Okay, I'll do that. I'll order some more plants. I've been left with two males as well, there goes my chances of breeding them! My LFS sometimes has them in stock, so I'll have a look in there. Currently there are only two other species in the same room, axolotls and whites tree frogs. I tend to be very hygienic around the amphibians, and I clean my tongs with hot water every time they are used, so I'm not sure they would have got it from something else, but I can't be sure.

Ian T

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen to me last year, very upsetting and I'm still not sure what caused it. My best guess is that in my case it was the substrate which had become anaerobic and given off some toxic compounds. I say this because I put in a new plant and I think disturbing the substrate triggered things. Good luck in avoiding similar in the future

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Okay, the substrate isn't very thick, but it is still a possibility. I have to go away for a few days, so I'm transferring them into a Critter- Keeper with moss and some water and putting them outside. It's the coldest week of the year so they should go into a mini hibernation.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I lost another one last night, I have one male left. He's in an exo-terra faunarium (medium flat) with lots of moss, water and a large piece of cork bark.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the other ones though, it always upsets me when I lose an animal especially if I can't figure out why. I'm also sorry you lost the Salamandra larvae too, I honestly don't know why that was because I still have all mine and the four I gave away are also still fine. Hope you find some more soon and get the problem sorted, good luck!

Stuart

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Just a little update...
I seem to have the situation under control. My lone male is doing good. Looking forward to Spring :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1