How many larvae is it normal to lose?

Equus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Emilys Axolots
This is my 1st batch of eggs from my Axolotls,, they started hatching 11/23/14. I think I lose one every few days. Is this normal? I have lost over 50% of my babies by now. They are fed BBS (plenty of them, and the BBS are thoroughly rinsed before feeding) and get 100% water changes daily (I do care for the water 1st). The water temp is not to high, they have plenty of space and a hide as well.

I can't see anything I am doing wrong, and I have been re-reading up on baby care again and I still can't see something I am missing. However, no one talks about how many you loose normally.

Any advice is appreciated!

I do not know what is "normal", but here is my limited experience: My first two tries failed miserably. The larva were lethargic and never fed. On the third try, I changed water conditioner, used non-water-softener water (very hard), and switched to a container that I had raised fish fry in before, and was successful. I started with 20 viable eggs, had to cull 7 due to defects, but the other 13 survived (and now need homes).

I suspect survival rates have to do with genetics, and perhaps you have a genetic problem with yours, but 50% seems high for a recessive gene (I'd expect 25% for a recessive lethal gene.)

Here are some things I can think of to check, if you haven't already:

1) Is it possible that the ammonia is rising in your containers excessively before the water changes? Try checking ammonia and nitrite in he water before you change it.

2) Is there bacteria building up on the bottom of the tank? If it is bare bottom, it needs to be wiped at least every couple of days (and it is recommended to wipe it every day.) If the tank has a sand substrate, that could be the cause of the problem, since sand to a small axolotl is like gravel to a large one. Also, unhatched brine shrimp eggs can be a problem to small ones.

3) Is the water conditioner you are using safe for axolotl larva? I suspect that the water conditioner was the issue with my first two tries, and axolotls young are more sensitive than adults.

4) Is your water acceptably hard?

I do not know what is "normal", but here is my limited experience: My first two tries failed miserably. The larva were lethargic and never fed. On the third try, I changed water conditioner, used non-water-softener water (very hard), and switched to a container that I had raised fish fry in before, and was successful. I started with 20 viable eggs, had to cull 7 due to defects, but the other 13 survived (and now need homes).

I suspect survival rates have to do with genetics, and perhaps you have a genetic problem with yours, but 50% seems high for a recessive gene (I'd expect 25% for a recessive lethal gene.)

Here are some things I can think of to check, if you haven't already:

1) Is it possible that the ammonia is rising in your containers excessively before the water changes? Try checking ammonia and nitrite in he water before you change it.

2) Is there bacteria building up on the bottom of the tank? If it is bare bottom, it needs to be wiped at least every couple of days (and it is recommended to wipe it every day.) If the tank has a sand substrate, that could be the cause of the problem, since sand to a small axolotl is like gravel to a large one. Also, unhatched brine shrimp eggs can be a problem to small ones.

3) Is the water conditioner you are using safe for axolotl larva? I suspect that the water conditioner was the issue with my first two tries, and axolotls young are more sensitive than adults.

4) Is your water acceptably hard?

Thank you, some very good points.I will test water before I change it tonight, but that does seem unlikely as the container is plenty big enough for the # of Axies. The bacteria might be an issue. I was washing the tubs daily, but I haven't been the last week or so since I switched my feeding and water changing methods. I didn't even think of this. My water is well water but is safe (tested), so it's not to soft and I don't use any conditioner. I raised some eggs from someone else this spring until I lost most thanks to my BBS not hatching 2 times in a row. Now I am running two BBS and have yet to have any issues with food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back