Unwanted Eggs: Removal,prevention and other advice

bethinak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tank with many floating plants and three axolotls.

It appears we have two girls and one boy (boy has big bulgy butt, right?) and we have many, many eggs. I thought removing the eggs would be simple but I have floating plants and weeds and there are eggs EVERYWHERE - it took me two hours to clean most of the eggs out of the tanks two weeks ago and i had to toss many many plants. And the mucous is wretched and gross and makes me want to cry and then my son is sad when I put the eggs in the freezer. And then this morning, there are are MORE EGGS.

So: Prevention: I need to move my boy out ASAP. Can he move back into the 10 gallon tub until I get his tank purchased and cycled? He is full grown at this point.

Secondly, will the females just stop laying as soon as the boy is out?

Amusingly our three are named Voldemort (white leuc), Severus Snape (dark wild) and Luna Lovegood (golden alb). Luna is the boy. Of course.

Yes, your male can be temporarily housed in a small-ish tub. The females will stop once he is gone.

Yes, your male can be temporarily housed in a small-ish tub. The females will stop once he is gone.

Thank you.

I'm dreading the egg cleanup this weekend but I have the tub ready for Luna (who has been renamed Ron Weasley).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back