Illness/Sickness: Help my axie hasn't eaten for over a week now and she is pooping green algae-like thing

GABTAN

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My axolotl hasn't been eating for almost three weeks now. I fridged him for 5 days after he has stopped eating for a week. He has just gone out of the fridge now and still hasn't eaten. I noticed that in his separation tank, there are green algae like-thing and I actually saw some come out of her cloaca. I'm so sad. And panicking. Her gills looks ugly now and there are white stuff on them and on her legs as well. Please help.

I'm sorry that I can't help you, I don't have too much experience with sick axolotls. One came from the pet shop unwell & I tried pimafix but I think the illness was too advanced already when I purchased her. Pimafix is supposed to work though & good in conjunction with melafix, I contacted the company & they said it was safe for amphibians. I hope someone with more experience helps you soon.

My axolotl hasn't been eating for almost three weeks now. I fridged him for 5 days after he has stopped eating for a week. He has just gone out of the fridge now and still hasn't eaten. I noticed that in his separation tank, there are green algae like-thing and I actually saw some come out of her cloaca. I'm so sad. And panicking. Her gills looks ugly now and there are white stuff on them and on her legs as well. Please help.

Photos would help, but it sounds like your axolotl may have fungus. Giving her salt baths may be worth a try. Fridging will encourage loss of appetite. Keep the water clean. Refer to the link below and good luck.
www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

You could also try a veterinarian, to see what they think.

I'm sorry that I can't help you, I don't have too much experience with sick axolotls. One came from the pet shop unwell & I tried pimafix but I think the illness was too advanced already when I purchased her. Pimafix is supposed to work though & good in conjunction with melafix, I contacted the company & they said it was safe for amphibians. I hope someone with more experience helps you soon.

I would double check before following this advice.

Yes, I agree with Michael. I'm leary of both those meds.

Perhaps I am wrong, sorry, I was just going on by what information I was given :-
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Regarding your question on Axolotls ([/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Ambystoma mexicanum[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]) I can provide the following,[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Both Melafix and Pimafix have been recommended and used with Axolotls for years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]One of the main reasons for Axolotls and other amphibians especially tadpoles that develop fungal growth is often a result of underlying bacterial infection first and the fungal infection as a secondary infection. While each case is different, in most cases bacterial has been found to be the primary infection. A secondary reason for the development of fungal infection is through damaged tissue. Damaged tissue can be a result of shipping, breeding, and fighting of species in the aquatic environment. [/FONT]
When it comes to treating animals that may be considered sensitive (newts, axolotls, mudskippers, rana frogs, various tadpoles) with Melafix or Pimafix, both medications have been used on sensitive species from axolotls to frogs. In fact we have numerous wholesalers and breeders who go to these product as their first choice. One consistent stubborn problem has been with tadpoles in the spring at Nurseries/Water Garden stores. The tadpoles develop a whitish film on the backs that has been identified as bacterial, fungal or both. As the fungus was found on tadpoles it was suspected of being [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis[/FONT] and not [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Saprolegnia[/FONT] sp. More commonly associated with fish. Previous treatments with antibiotics were not working and other medications were too harsh but Melafix has been the industry go to product for treating the white growth on the backs of tadpoles. So the recommendation of Pimafix for simple fungal infections is still correct but under many situations treating with Melafix may be the better choice based on the information already provided.

We have seen through research treating fish on numerous occasions where the use of these products separately have been very successful at treating bacterial infections. We have done controlled studies in vitro that provides evidence that an equivalent concentration of the actives found within an aquarium dosed with either Melafix® or Pimafix® (≤1.32ppm) are effective at significantly reducing bacterial abundance of Pseudomonas fluorescens and Aeromonas hydrophilia. We have observed and have many reports of Melafix enhancing tissue re-growth faster than other treatments. New tissue growth in fish is often seen within four (4) days of initial treatment. We have seen through research where Pimafix has treated internal infections. We have additional bacterial challenges that have also been successful. To further support current US legislative changes other fish pathogen studies are ongoing. We have not performed controlled studies exclusively using Axolotls.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The best approach is to develop an environment and maintenance regiment that will eradicate the conditions that allowed the infections to start in the first place. We have shown through competitive inhibition research that the addition of Stress Zyme has reduced the organic loading and thus reduction of the breeding areas for pathogenic bacteria populations. Assuming that the underlying cause of the fungal infection is a combination of water quality issues and bacterial infection the addition of Stress Zyme would be highly recommended to establish and maintain a healthy environment for keeping axolotls. Recommending Melafix or Pimafix is appropriate to treat the disease, but proper husbandry should also include routine additions of Stress Zyme to eliminate the conditions for the disease to develop in the first place. [/FONT]

I use several API products with good results.

They missed the boat in recommending melafix and pimafix for axolotl care when they have better products for such applications.

Decades ago API used tadpoles donated by me for some of their research. My results with melafix were different than their results. I'm sure the animals I tried it on were not to far gone for it to help. I feel melafix was no help and possibly contributed to the demise of the axolotls I used it on.

It would be interested to see some scientific results about testing of melafix and pimafix done by a company other than the one selling the treatment.

Truly interesting. I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to my water quality & parameters & as such have not had any issues with fungus or bacteria except for the rescue, but I'm also obsessive about quarantine so it never became an issue. I also like to be prepared, so have been trying to research but as yet have not come across anything definitive in that area of care. Fridging & salt baths appear to be the norm but I would assume very traumatic for the animals. From what I have read it all seems quite hit & miss & I find that unsettling. You would think in this time of advancements that some one would have come up with a system or product that has an increased success rate, or perhaps I am googling in the wrong places? I do thank you for your time in responding & your information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back