Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra salamandra temps?

Benny101

Reaction score
Hello
I keep and have kept for several years ,6- 3 lined salamanders and 3 spotted salamanders . Each group housed in their own 20 gallon long .

I recently saw some CB Fire's and interested in them but the temps in my salamander room are about 68 degrees and from what I gather bit to warm for Fire's?

Thank you

Benny101

Reaction score

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Mine are at 45F and still feeding daily or every other day depending on their mood, so I suspect they don't mind it being cool for sure.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I think I may have an idea for you, but I've obviously never tried this so might run it by someone with actual experience!

I've seen some two part wine coolers, one section goes down to 45F, I think the other section is around 60F. In the spring and fall, you could probably keep them out in the open, then put them in the 60F when it gets hot in the summer and move them to the 45F for winter cooling off period.

The thing people have said is the wine coolers dry the tanks out, so maybe you could do a sterilite tub with holes drilled instead. I've found I can use a 1/8" drill bit to make holes in the sides and lids of those tubs without cracking anything. I've also made holes in them with a soldering iron.

Reactions: sde

sde

Reaction score
Good idea, I think it would work like you suggest. You could almost treat your summer like winter for them, since it would be colder in the wine chiller, and your winter like their summer, since it would be warmer in the wine chiller.

alexps

Reaction score
i have two fans used to keep my laptop cool they use hardly any power i sure the handy amongst you could rig something similar to keep your charges cool

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
i have two fans used to keep my laptop cool they use hardly any power i sure the handy amongst you could rig something similar to keep your charges cool

Assuming I read this correctly, I wouldn't put a fan on top of a terrestrial tank, it could dry out the salamanders.

alexps

Reaction score
no sorry i use it above a tank of water to the side of salamanders evaoration helps reduce the temps i can drop my temps by up to 2 or 3 degrees every little helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!