New Tank

Valentinas Dadd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Valentina's Daddy
Recently I put our two Axolotls in a 20 Gallon Long Tank, we have the tank in the garage. I have a couple concerns that I was hoping I could get feedback for.

1. Levels
What levels should I be concerned with for the water? I normally use bottled water or water that has sat for a week or so and has been treated, I always check the PH levels but have heard different things on the levels.

2. What is a good PH level?

3. What is a good temp? Normal temp is about 68-70 degrees fahrenheit.

4. Lighting? Since the tan is in our garage there is no natural sunlight, I know Axolotls do not like the sunlight, however I was curious if I should have some sort of light beside overhead lighting.

Thanks for your time.

The pH is not usually the problem, it's the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading you have to watch. Read up on cycling. pH should be neutral, but axies quite tolerant, temp of 65-70 will be fine.
Axies need a day and night light cycle, so if you can get a light with a timer for day and night intervals it should be OK.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back