Prolapsed testicles?

rachel1

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my 8" juvies has been approaching sexual maturity, and I am concerned that his "bumps" appear to be growing outside his body cavity. He is eating and pooping fine, there is no indication of fungus or infection. I have been keeping an eye on it the past couple weeks and I'm pretty sure it is not tissue from the digestive tract. It is clearly paired and the texture of the tissue appears "grainy". Concerned how this might impact him long term, and wondering if anyone has seen this before or has experience. I have no vets in the region that I would trust with amphibian surgery, although I have an excellent relationship with two nearby vets and could probably obtain meds if necessary. Pardon his container, pulled them out for a thorough cleaning and pics, and they promptly pooped and swam through it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,011
Better pic- I'm only able to load one at a time for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,207
That animal needs a specialized vet.
It is a prolapse, but those are not the testicles, it seems to be a portion of the intestine. The testicles are in a dorsal possition (similar to where humans have them before they drop) and cannot be prolapsed.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find a resource with anatomically correct axolotl diagrams? I have been searching online for the last two hours and have found only crude diagrams at best that are missing essential pieces. And what tissue causes the "bulges" associated with the male characteristics? I know in herps it is the hemi*****, but a hemi***** seems uneccesary in an animal that practices external fertilization. I'm aware that surgery is probably the only option, I'm just not sure where I will find a qualified surgeon. Maybe I will check with the universities nearby and see if they have amphibian surgical experience, as I know the axolotl is a common research animal.

Last edited:
A suggestion someone made once (can't remember who) was to ask a zoo. They will either have such vets on staff or will know how to reach one.

I can't help you with finding a qualified vet, i'm sorry.
The term "herps" includes amphibians, what you meant was reptiles, which do have hemipenes. Amphibians don't. The bulging bit of males is the cloaca, it doesn't contain the testicles (although it kind of looks like it does, particularly in certain species). Like i said, the testicles are well inside the body in a dorsal position, kind of like a woman's ovaries (male reptiles have their testicles in a similar position, among vertebrates only male mammals have them outside the body, near the anus) . The cloaca is specialized tissue that produces the jelly that packages the sperm, forming a spermatophore, which it stores and it also produces pheromones which the males then waft towards the females. It's basically a large gland right at the end of the reproductive and digestive systems.

Thanks guys! I found a vet to do a long distance consult, and we are going to leave him as is for the time being. Sounds like it is most likely a conformational defect causing prolapse. Since the tissue is pink and healthy and he is eating and defecating normally, the plan is to keep an eye on it and resort to surgery if it becomes inflamed or starts to cause a problem. He has been like this about a month now without issue, so I'm optimistic it will just be a defect he can live with. Vet says he is unsuitable for breeding and to minimize stimulation, so he's by himself. Oh, and the male glands can be referred to as subcaudal glands, for anyone else wondering.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back