Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Newbie Axolotl Questions

axolotlseamus

Reaction score
Apologies in advance, for any questions of ignorance.

I am new to the land of Axies, I have done my fair share of research, but alas, i am still remaining with some curious questions, that i am struggling to find my answer too.

I have three Axies, in my 30inch, deeper than usual tank. I am based in Melbourne, Australia.

When it comes to water changes, should i be treating them like fish and using stress coat & stress zyme? Is there a better alternative - or perhaps a cheaper alternative? Are the regular blue conditioning granules sufficient?
What should i be adding to the water when i do a water change?

How much is the ideal amount to feed?
How regularly do you suggest to feed them? (i have read every other day, but on the side of a pellet container it suggests twice a day).
At the moment i am feeding brine shrimp, blood worm and beef heart frozen cubes.
This is messy, which i had feared (and read), but they are not interested in being hand fed - so i got anxious. They have a base substrate of pebbles, but i have glass feeding bowls that the food goes into - which works as well as you can expect.
(is hand feeding the obvious choice?)

Are they competitive for food?
One of them is smaller than the other two (as i received him), and i worry about him.

How regularly do we advise for water changes?
I do spot cleans for food at the moment, and then another one to clean the pebbles less regularly.

Any other advice is warmly welcomed.

Thank you :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
OK, first of all how big are your axies? If they are uncer 3" then frozen food like bloodworms are OK. But if they are over 3" they should be on earthworms - hand feeding is much easier with worms. They are very competitive over food, and will try and steal a worm from another axie's mouth given the chance. Axies will also attack smaller axies, if there is a significant size difference you should separate your smaller one.

You need to dechlorinate water before adding it to the tank - you should be changing 20-25% a week if it is cycled. Is your tank cycled?

I would lose the pebbles. Rocks bigger than the axies' heads are OK, but pebbles have 2 problems - axie will eat them by mistake, or food will become trapped between them and mess with your water quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1