Cyanobacteria Errrr! someone please help!!!

crickit785

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
D.J.
I'm having problems with cyanobacteria in my axolotls tank. Today I noticed a little black beard algea aswell. I have a few plants that the cyano keeps trying to smother out but I keep spot cleaning to keep alive. I keep my nitrates low with regular water changes. Would phosphates be my problem? I haven't checked them yet because none of my local fish stores have had a test kit. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Good luck. I have a beard algae breakout in one tank (with fish) and there doesn't seem to be any way to eliminate it. 20 years ago I successfully eliminated an outbreak by just starting over - throw away all plants, clean everything with bleach, and re-cycle. I am getting ready to do that now in the tank with a current outbreak (and also I'm never buying plants again from the store that was the source of the current outbreak.)

The ratio Phosphate/Nitrate is often the problem.
Cyanobacteria grow wel for high ratio P/N.
It generally happens :
- in a new aquarium with low P and very low N - not for a long time.
- in an "old" aquarium with sand full of organic matter - it may last very long.
Water changes are not an efficient way to lower Phosphate in an aquarium.
The best solution is to clean the substrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back