Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fat female axolotls

vanjaif

Reaction score
HELLO!

Not sure if I'm doing this right since I haven't posted her before.

But I have 2 female axolotl (Toothless and Wooper) they are both super happy about food and I feed them every 3 day or so.
I feed pangasius fillet or pallets (Nove Lotle XL) normally I feed mostly pallets and they get 3-4 pieces each.

But the problem is, they are starting to get really fat, this isn't something that happen over night or in a short period of time, honestly they have been fat for a while, but lately they have just gotten worst.
Is it possible that they are carrying eggs without a male? Or do i need to put them on a diet?

They are on fine sand so I don't suspect any impact.
The water temperature is somewhat stable at 16-19 degrees celsius.
The water qualities is fine.
And otherwise they seam happy and healthy. :happy: Just really really fat.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,048
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 440

Bette

Reaction score
They are adorable! Yes, they carry eggs even if they are not kept with males. And they will just absorb the eggs if not bred. So no worries there.
They look very healthy to me. It seems like you are feeding them accepted, good amounts for their age and size. You feed primarily a pellet diet, right? I am not familiar with the other food you mentioned.... is it some type of local fish?

vanjaif

Reaction score
Puuuh! Thank you for the quick reply! And the sweet words :D
Not sure if I'm replying in the right way, to many buttons to get used to.

Yes I mainly feed them pallets, especially now when its winter, and the pet shops around her doesn't have a large variation of axolotl food. Pangasius is a fresh water fish, I think it's from Spain, but Im not sure, we can buy them as fillets here and its really popular to feed to axolotls (I got it recommended from some breeders on a Danish axolotl group).

Can absorbing the eggs give any stress or complications for my girls? And how much time does it normally take for them to realize they are not gonna meet a male? :p

Bette

Reaction score
Oh, okay! As long as you feed it in moderation, the freshwater fish sounds ok. It's the saltwater fish that contains too much sodium.... this is the type you have to be careful with. Try earthworms also, as they are very nutritious for axies.
I am not aware of any ill effects that comes from the females absorbing their eggs. But I do know that mature females produce and hold eggs pretty much all year round. Some seem to get more rotund than others! So it seems to be a continuous cycle.
Are your axies pooping normally?

vanjaif

Reaction score
Ok :) They have just become so much rounder the last couple of months, and I just think mine looks so much rounder than other female axolotls i have seen on pictures. After i started feeding them pallets (about 10 weeks ago) they have pooped slightly less then they used to, but it might just be because i have reduced the size of their feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1