Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Overfed juvie? can see intestines, is this normal even for an albino?

2ma3

Reaction score
I may just be a worried new mom but my 4in (10cm) juvie seems overweight?
They're an albino and i can also see their white intestines against what I assume is their dark stomach?
They're on black sand substrate and I fed them a brine shrimp cube per day (in a small bowl on the sand) before noticing their weight gain... I have given them only half a cube for the past few days.
Is this normal? I can't find many pictures of juveniles that age (someone told me a 4in is probably 6-10 months old) therefore I can't tell if this is normal...
I have a video of them, only a minute long, that shows them walking and from many angles as they turn. You can see the intestines near the end.
video:
http://youtu.be/Ddv1pLfVWTQ

Are they overweight? Are they impacted? Am I feeding them too much? What do I need to do for them?
Thanks!!

charleybambino

Reaction score
Looks to be normal sized. Could there be any gravel/substrate causing such dark areas....just thought it looked a little bumpy?

2ma3

Reaction score
They haven't been on any gravel or anything larger than sand since I've had them, and when they arrived they were pretty tiny but not bumpy. I noticed that too, though... Other than gravel, what else could it be? I don't see any air bubbles...

auntiejude

Reaction score
In smaller pale axies you can usually see their intestines and liver - normal and nothing to worry about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!