My experiment worked

stevenwignet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Steven Wignet
I thought I would try a bit of an experiment and it seems to have worked.

I have a red clawed crab and it has its own tank with heated brackish water. I popped a few of my axy eggs into it and they hatched in 10 days, i have been feeding them bbs but not been rinsing it so put it in salted in the tank. the heat certainly quicked the development process.
they been gobbling it up fine and been growing quickly.
they are a month old and have just about got all 4 legs now, the back 80% grown.
they zip out of the way so the crab cant catch them.
it seems they have adapted well to the heat and the salted water and its not affected them at all.
I think the salt seeped into the egg so the larve was used to the salted water so when it hatched it was used to it.
I placed 4 eggs in the water and all hatched and doing well.

It seems axolotls are more hardy than people realise. i think salted bbs kills axolotl larve is cause they born into fresh water and thats what they used to so any additional stuff just does not work.

Those are some interesting hypotheses.

What research did you do before you embarked on this experiment?
Where were your freshwater and cold water control groups?
Have you dissected any of them to confirm they are developing normally?
Have you had your result verified by an independant peer?
Have you repeated the experiement with consistent results?

This is the basic process for scientific method.
Until your saltwater larvae have matured to adulthood and present as healthy when compared to control groups and you have repeatable results you cannot conclude this experiment was a success.

Axolotls are very hardy. I can't figure out how everyone kills them like they do. Your experiment has a long way to go though. Tolerating high salinity isn't new to amphibians. Dwarf Sirens are known for it. You also gave us an experiment without any data. What do you consider a high temperature? 75 or 82 F degrees? Because 75F isn't really that high. Now if they were at 82, that would be something to talk about. What is the salinity levels? Brackish is a loosely used term for any amount of salt added to water. There is a huge difference between a table spoon per gallon and 1/4 cup. Please give us your water parameters.

Please post back to us when they die. Trying odd things with a few eggs is no big deal. My fear is that some novice would see this and think of it a sensible approach. It is not. That is why I am being so blunt.

Give more thought to your posts and that red square might disappear.

Let's calculate a bit :

Stevenwignet put 3,5 tablespoon of salt in 15 liters. We obtain a concentration about 3,5 grams/liter (if I correctly interpret the tablespoon unit as 15 grams...) if the water is initially soft (no information for instance).

Holtfreter's solution has a global concentration of 3,8 grams/liter (source : axolotl.org).

Steinberg's solution has a global concentration of 4,3 grams/liter (same source).

So, is this example really extreme?

The temperature value of 80,6°F and the crab concerns me more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back