Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is this stress?

prince

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! before i start i'd like to say that this is my first axolotl, and i really love her and don't want anything to happen to her, so i might just be paranoid!
i got her from a reputable expo. she's missing one leg, but she's four months old and it's about halfway grown back so it just sounds like an accident with tankmates when she was younger. it doesn't appear to be bothering her much at all, and she appears to be able to move without a problem!
here's what's happened so far:
she was in a bag for a bit longer than i would have preferred, because of the trip a city over. she got a little bit stressed out, which i was expecting. her water temperature was between 60 and 64 degrees (farenheit) through the night. her gills were a bit forward but her color seemed normal and her tail hasn't curled.
this morning, though, she was very pale and her gills were only tinged pink. she hasn't seemed particularly inactive today. i gave her a bloodworm cube and she regained a little bit of color, and it seems to be where it should be again now.
she's in a ten gallon tank right now, but it's only temporary and it works for her current size.
i don't have a filter yet. one has been ordered, it just hasn't arrived yet. it's going to be a sponge filter. for now, i'll just be changing out a portion of the water daily.
in the tank there is a hide, one artificial plant, and one real java fern.
she seemed to be flicking her gills very rapidly so i bought her a tiny air stone that releases a couple of bubbles every few seconds and that helped.
she has a very fine non-beach sand substrate.
th pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are where they should be, from what i have been told and read.

here's a few pictures of her, for reference. her name is secret wizard!
tumblr_nhobisjBg51rfgr2wo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhobisjBg51rfgr2wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhobisjBg51rfgr2wo9_1280.jpg

the first is shortly after i got her back home, the second was this morning, and the third is from just a few minutes ago.

vanjaif

Reaction score
Hey!
Congrats on your new friend! :happy:

I don't think she looks stressed in this pictures, the gills would bend forward even more.

Axolotls tend to be more pale when they have been inactive for a while, when they start swimming around their color will get back to normal, or by feeding as you did. At night when my axolotls are most active their tail and gills will get a brighter red color then they normally have, and it scared me so much the first time I noticed it! haha.

She looks healthy and happy to me :happy:

prince

Reaction score
Hey!
Congrats on your new friend! :happy:

I don't think she looks stressed in this pictures, the gills would bend forward even more.

Axolotls tend to be more pale when they have been inactive for a while, when they start swimming around their color will get back to normal, or by feeding as you did. At night when my axolotls are most active their tail and gills will get a brighter red color then they normally have, and it scared me so much the first time I noticed it! haha.

She looks healthy and happy to me :happy:

ok!! thank you very much. i didn't know about the paleness thing, but it does make sense with blood flow and all.
thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1