Aged tap or cycled tank water

fish4all

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christopher
I did a search, I swear I did but I didn't find anything on using cycled tank water for water changes. Being I am raising babies and getting a few more eggs instead of getting 2 inch long sub adults things have gotten complicated.

Thankfully the tons of information here has made sure I know what I need to try and do to get som or most e to adult.

Cycled tank water for water changes? I have crushed coral and shells in the filters of the cycled tank to add hardness. I may be adding small amout of MgSO4 to add a little more hardness.

or

Aged tap water with an airstone to dechlorinate it for 24 hours or so. I don't want to use cemicals if I don't have to. No chloramines in water supply and water is very soft.

It may not be worth using cycled tank water for water changes.
Cycling involves bacteria, but most of these bacteria stay on solid substratum (sand, filter...) and not in the water.
Bacteria will have to thrive in the new tank.

Tank water will contain a lot of nitrates. Fresh dechlorinated tap water, temp equalised, is best.

Well, switched to aerated dechlorinated water and lost my albino. I don't know if it had anything to dow ith it for sure or not, just a seems like a direct result.

Again, my tap water is REALLY soft. gh and kh pretty much zero. Should I add some crushed coral to the bucket? Should I add some salt to the water, MgSO4, or something else to harden it up a little? I don't want to lose any more and the babies I have are all hatched with a mix of albinos and many other variations.

I do 20% water changes daily on 20 gallon. No fish, no gravel just an airstoen and 2 fliters running on it. I am running both so I can move one to a 7.5 gallon when the babies are large enough to handle a larger tank.

I used tank water for my babies, but my planted 40gal had 0 nitrates, so that wasn't a concern for me. If there was a sudden change in water chemistry, that could be enough to cause deaths. There are several recipes for hardening water on Axolotl.org. Probably the easiest is John's solution, which is uniodized salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda. This solution is then added up to a 50/50 ratio solution to dechlorinated tap water. I add oyster shell calcium tablets to my adult's tank maybe once a month or so to help increase pH and hardness, also.

probably just chalk it up to learning curve. Doesn't help that pas5t 2 days have been crazy with flooding and cleaning up. I need to get some plants in my 20 so the nitrates are tatken care of and then I will switch back, slowly, to tank water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back