Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leucistic offspring colors?

LoriML

Reaction score
Hi all. My female leustitic just laid her first (and probably only) clutch of eggs. I can kind of see different colored eggs, but I'm just wondering what the odds of the different colors will be. I plan on culling them soon so I think I'll take a few of each colors to raise. To be honest I wasn't expecting this batch so the thought of culling eggs makes me sad, but the thought of letting them develop then watching them die would break my heart. The plan after that will be separating male and female permanently by either a tank divider or buying another tank. Or perhaps selling the male and just getting another female. I bought them as juveniles not knowing I happened to be buying a breeding pair.

LoriML

Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry, you do need to know that! He's also leucistic. They have pure black eyes, no rings, so I suppose melanoid leucistic?
Poor girl is exhausted today. I pulled out a couple plants with eggs and put in a plastic bowl. I'll get my smaller tank out today and clean it well and get them set up in there. My LFS said to do black worms when they hatch but it seems like BBS are the preferred method here, so maybe I'll order them also today and get ready. Assuming I'll have some hatch! :D

auntiejude

Reaction score
OK, so you could have leucisitcs and white albinos then - both melanoid assuming both your parents are melanoid too.

Any microfood is fine, but with BBS they get a cute orange belly and you can see when they have eaten. I'd say blackworms were a bit on the large side for new hatchlings but OK from 2-3 weeks onward.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!