I have multiple problems

AquaAmphib

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl I thought was doing fine until tonight. I noticed that he has yawned twice in the 40 min iv been up here and also he appears to have gulp water a few times and he's been flicking his gills often lately. Also every now and then he'll raise his hind legs up and I dont know why please help.
ammonia-0.25
nitrite-0
Nitrate-between 5-0
ph-6

PS a few nights ago i also noticed that he was sliding on the glass but that only happened that once.

When I first got mine she was pretty still and lazy. Now she swims everywhere, goes up to the top and gulps a ton of air so she can float around. Once in awhile she gill flicks more than usual, and then won't do it again for ages. Yawning also comes and goes. She'll hold herself up with one hand on the ground or a plant and all the rest just float lightly in the water. The only point I'm trying to make is that they do weird stuff. Takes a long time to stop being paranoid about every single thing (possibly forever, when I got home today I thought she was dead for a minute bc she was floating in an unusual position and wouldn't budge. Turned out to be a really awesome nap I woke her from!) He might just be doing weird stuff.

What size tank, temps, and other tank mates does he have? How long has it been cycled/cycling? You should keep an eye on the ammonia levels and do water changes if necessary. Also watch for pooping, I've read here that their little rears floating straight up could be constipation.

Also if you think there might not be enough oxygen in the water (causing excessive gill flicking and air gulping) you can try putting a small air stone in with him.

Are you getting some sort of ammonia spike of 0.25? Maybe you can move the axie in a hospital tank which you can do daily changes until the home tank's water parameter stabilizes by measuring the parameters daily, cycled water should ideally be 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrites and something for nitrates

There is absolutely nothing wrong - all the behaviours you describe are normal. Yawning is just yawning, gill flicking is beathing, going up for air is normal, raising hind legs is sign they are going to poop.

He appaears to now be fine so last night appears to just of been a fluke if anything else occurs I will surely be back thanks for the help:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back