Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Milky residue floating on water

Axotolt

Reaction score
there is a layer of something almost like gasoline(not colourful tho) floating on my water especialy when I turn filter off its like a layer of filmy milk .... my axis just layed eggs and it in her tank and in the eggs tank ? has anyone seen this before ? is it from the eggs?, there jelly? birthmater? or should I be concerned that some décor is leaching into my tank thanks for help guys

Cacique

Reaction score
I've had it as well and agree with Auntie Jude. You could take a clean paper towel and roll it up tight and skim the surface of the water. Just drag it slowly across the water surface and it will collect the protein film. Adding more water agitation, like with and air pump and air stones will help keep it down.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Agree with AuntieJude and Cacique - it's a protein film caused by stagnation. I had it before - it looks like the film you get on dishwater. I used a piece of kitchen towel and added an air stone and haven't had it since.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1