Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I don't know what to do!

petaRJ

Reaction score
I'm at a loss. I have had Dobby since Friday afternoon and he still won't eat. I have done everything most people have suggested and nothing works. I left him alone all day Sunday and until Monday night when I got home about 7. I bought him some Canadian nightcrawlers and he wouldn't eat them. I have tried mealworms, brine shrimp, red wigglers, and then the nightcrawlers. I have chopped things up, fed him with chopsticks, hand fed him, and ever put him in another container. NOTHING. I'm so stressed out and worried about him. He stays hidden most of the days but sometimes in the morning he will come close to the front of the tank. The temp on the tank is set at about 64-66. I have a small filter but it doesn't put off a big current. I have lots of plants and hiding spots. I won't be able to get blood worms until tomorrow afternoon because everywhere has been sold out. Is there anything else I can try or should I just leave him a lone until tomorrow night? I don't want him to die on me. Please HELP..:(:errr:

Attachments

• 0105151942.jpg
    0105151942.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 0105151942a.jpg
    0105151942a.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 185

LoriML

Reaction score
I'm no an expert and don't have any ideas that you haven't tried, but maybe he's just learning about his new home and has eaten more than you think? I had a hard time with mine eating at first, they only wanted to be hand fed, but over time they learned to eat sinking food as well and different types of food. Maybe he's getting used to his surroundings? If his gills and tail aren't noticeably curved wrong and you don't see any sort of skin problems maybe he's just adjusting. Just a thought, but hopefully you'll get more responses from others who know more. Good luck!

LoriML

Reaction score
One other thought is perhaps he's ingesting the sand in your tank. I've read that can cause problems.
Edited to say, actually I'm reading more about sand it its easier to digest than pebbles. So I suppose I'm back to my original thought of he's just stressed and trying to settle maybe. Good luck! I hope you get more responses.

petaRJ

Reaction score
I've kept an eye on him every so often and he doesn't really open his mouth to be able to ingest the sand. I took a piece of worm last night but I think I may have cut it to big and he spit it back out. So I cut a smaller piece and he didn't want it anymore. I'm gonna have my husband try and fed him again here in a few. Just to see if he will take it. If he doesn't then I'm just not gonna mess with him until tomorrow night. I'll just let him explore the tank. My husband just said that he was sitting in front of the tank again so maybe he is hungry. He seems fine as far as health wise. I think I just have a picky eater. :confused:

petaRJ

Reaction score
My husband just tried to feed him again and he said that he took the piece of worm. He said he chomped on it for a bit then spit it back out.

stevenwignet

Reaction score
My husband just tried to feed him again and he said that he took the piece of worm. He said he chomped on it for a bit then spit it back out.

maybe its simply not hungry
if it wants food it will let you know
i would not keep forcing food in its mouth, how would you like it if someone did that to you?

petaRJ

Reaction score
I'm not forcing food in his mouth. I'm simply putting it on a stick and seeing it he will take it. If he doesn't take it i leave it alone. He hasn't ate since Thursday and figuring that he is still a baby he is possibly hungry. My husband did say that he ate 3 pieces of worm today finally so I'm content with that until I get bloodworms tomorrow.

Cacique

Reaction score
If he is in fact stressed, reducing the lighting will make him calmer. I would just keep offering bits of worm now and then, he could either be very picky about the food and size, or maybe prefers a specific time like dusk or dawn.

petaRJ

Reaction score
I actually leave the light off. I only turn it on for about a hr while I get ready for work in the morning and he goes into the pots. Then I turn it back off. I only have one blub that I keep on so the other side of the tank stays dark while I have it on. When I got home last night I looked at him and his belly was pretty full. I read that you want the belly and head to be some what around the same size and it was. So therefore I'm content with his eating. I think he just likes it when my husband feeds him around lunch! I just so happy he finally ate!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I am glad Dobby ate for you :)

This might sound odd, but some baby axolotls have never seen worms and need to be 'trained' to eat them, because they're either used to dead food or don't know how to keep down something that moves.

It's also worth mentioning that axolotls do 'hunger strike' on occasion, and this will be something that could happen as he gets older. My males in particular sometimes don't feel like eating and won't eat for three days or so, but a well fed axolotl can survive three weeks without food, so I wouldn't worry overmuch if he strikes in future as long as there's not any other worrying symptoms, like spots, lumps or redness.

I think, as other posters have said, that perhaps he was settling in. Stress is another cause of 'hunger striking' in axolotls and often happens when they are moved to a new home, or when they've had medical treatment.

Here's to more worm lunches :) Good luck!

Cacique

Reaction score
I wanted to add on to what Petersgirl said and add that my axolotl does hunger strikes if he doesn't like the food. He kept losing weight when I kept trying to get him to eat red wrigglers and I had to change back to pellets and eventually night crawlers. So if he doesn't eat for longer than what Petersgirl said, it could be that your axie just flat out hates the food.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Cacique has a point. Sometimes they just don't like certain foods. Live worms excrete a horrible tasting substance when they are threatened, and Red Wrigglers apparently have a bitter taste, so this might explain why axxies sometimes struggle to eat worms.

petaRJ

Reaction score
Thanks so much for everyone's help.. I finally was able to get bloodworms and he LOVES them. I throw a cube in his tank in the morning and when I get home at night more then half the cube is gone. His belly is about as round as his head. I cleaned his tank yesterday and moved things around. I read that they like to explore new surroundings. He seems to be very happy and content. However, I do believe Dobby is a Dobbette..:-:)kill:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Unless you take the time to stir up that sand every week, thats way too much. There really shouldn't be more than an inch of sand to avoid anaerobic pockets and stuff.

texa

Reaction score
Great you've got the wee one to eat :)

I think what Aaron is referring to is that your substrate may be a little too deep. Sand can settle rather densely, and this causes a lack of oxygenated water being able to reach down into it. This can cause a build up of high concentrations of ammonia which may be suddenly released when you stir it up now and then. Sometimes deep sand can become black and smelly in the bottom layers, obviously it's not ideal when you want to keep your water parameters safe.

I'd maybe suggest removing a bit of the sand and having about a 1 inch layer. That should stay oxygenated and also make it easier to clean when siphoning.

petaRJ

Reaction score
Yes he is eating right out of my hands now. I love that little guy. Oh I did not know that about sand. I have 4 other tanks and this one was the first that I had to use sand it. I use a turkey baster to remove any uneaten food and what not. But i'll def take some of the sand out this weekend.Thanks for the advice!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1