Question: Are these water conditions hurting my axies?

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
I posted about my annoying test readings in an earlier post but now after several testings and still being frustrated I'm starting to wonder if these bad water readings could be hurting my precious axolotls.

I have two males in a 20 gallon long tank. I've had them for a year now. I've including a photo of my set up. Inside are two caves, slate tile, a glass vases filled with egg rock holding 5 large bamboo plants. My filter is a 50 gallon Aqua Clear Fluval.

Cloudy water is constant. Within a day or two after regular tank cleanings it's back to cloudy that I can't even see my axolotls. I've been doing 20% water changes daily and my test results are not changing for the better. I've taken all the advice given on how to clean my aquarium and I've followed them very closely.

The current test results:

December 25 2014:
Ammonia: 4.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
PH: 7.6

January 4th 2015:
Ammonia: 4.0 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm

January 6th 2015:
Ammonia: 8.0 ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my axolotls to a 40 gallon breeder tank but will it take longer to cool down since I'm only using ice bottles to keep colder temperatures and will it help my water conditions lower?

If not then I'm seriously thinking of re-homing my axolotls to someone who can control the water conditions better since I'd rather have them safe and healthy. I don't want to harm them with high ammonia levels. Though they seem fine. Saskia eats every 2 days and Sage has started to eat every 3-4 days. I'm mostly concerned with Sage and his appetite change.

Attachments

• P1060230.jpg
    P1060230.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 441
I'm really concerned with your water parameters. Ammonia levels like that can easily kill axolotls.
So, your tank has been running for a year? Your readings indicate a non-cycled tank or a crashed cycle.
At this stage, to keep conditions safe for your axies, you really need to be doing large water changes... like 90% daily if needed. Your ammonia shouldn't be more than 0. However, axolotls can tolerate up to 0.5 for periods of time with relative safety.

Are you still having to use frozen water bottles at this time of year? What is the temperature of the water if you only use a fan overhead?
I ask this because this really needs to be addressed before any tank upgrades...
Is there a part of your home that is significantly cooler year round, like a basement perhaps? And a larger tank with more water volume will remain at more stable temperatures. So, a tank upgrade is a good idea, BUT -
definitely start doing large water changes asap.

Also, have you tried removing the pot of bamboo to see if the readings change at all?

Last edited:
Also, I'm unfamiliar with that type of filter. Is it a HOB, canister or other? And are you using a liquid test kit or strips?

I would highly recommend removing the axolotls from their tank, that ammonia is extremely dangerous. That amount of ammonia can kill your axie easily. Your ammonia should always be 0.0 if your tank is cycled.
Maybe the water that you are putting in the tank has a lot of ammonia in it? It might be worth testing the water before you put it in the tank.
Is your tank cycled?

I'm really concerned with your water parameters. Ammonia levels like that can easily kill axolotls.
So, your tank has been running for a year? Your readings indicate a non-cycled tank or a crashed cycle.
At this stage, to keep conditions safe for your axies, you really need to be doing large water changes... like 90% daily if needed. Your ammonia shouldn't be more than 0. However, axolotls can tolerate up to 0.5 for periods of time with relative safety.

I don't need ice bottles this time of year though I put one in at night time even though I don't really need it but that is when we have the heater on. The temperature is about 64F during the day and a bit lower at night.

I'm also very concerned with my water parameters. My filter is a HOB and yes my tank has been running for a year as for January 2nd. Though it was cycled before I ever got my first axololt. I'm using the API liquid master test kit though one time the ammonia level color was blue and that color wasn't even on the color chart! Usually now it's in the dark green color chart zone.

I was told to do small water changes and not clean my tank so much due to a possible cycle crash. Since then I've been doing small water changes daily. Would you advice finding a new home for my axolotls since my petemeters have gone crazy? I'd rather give them up then have them suffer possible harm. Even though I love them so much.

I would highly recommend removing the axolotls from their tank, that ammonia is extremely dangerous. That amount of ammonia can kill your axie easily. Your ammonia should always be 0.0 if your tank is cycled.
Maybe the water that you are putting in the tank has a lot of ammonia in it? It might be worth testing the water before you put it in the tank.
Is your tank cycled?

I did test my water before putting it in the tank and it was a low ammonia level. All my other aquariums that hold fish, frogs and crawfish (all housed seperately) have very good water perimeters. I don't understand why the axolotl tank is going crazy. I'm trying to hard to get it right but I don't know how the ammonia level is going low and then rising again back and forth. I feel so frustrated.

I clean my tank once a week and usually a large water change. But as mentioned before I'm doing the small water changes daily now and still no hope!

Well, than in that case I think it has to be something within the tank that is causing the ammonia. So taking the tank down and re making it might be worth your time. Maybe it was the bamboo like Bette suggested?

Well, than in that case I think it has to be something within the tank that is causing the ammonia. So taking the tank down and re making it might be worth your time. Maybe it was the bamboo like Bette suggested?

I'll take out the egg rock, vase and bamboo and do a large water change and see if that helps and test again. If it's high then I'll try the caves...until I'm down to the slate tiles. If it comes down to it I will re-home my axolotls with a heavy heart. :(

The bamboo plants are not aquatic plants and will die if fully submerged, if that is happening they could be some of the cause for high ammonia, they look ok in the picture though. Go ahead and do the big water changes, if anything it would slow the cycle a bit but would keep your axolotls in top shape. Your filter is good, I used it on my axolotl's old tank before I upgraded it and now is on my goldfish tank. Skip the carbon and just cram it full of sponge, filter floss and ceramic media. Don't over clean the filter or change all of the filter media at once, make sure you only wash the filter in old tank water instead of tap water. Hopefully after some big water changes, I'd say maybe 75-80% as needed, it'll clear the water up and stabilize things.

Sorry if you already know or are doing some of these things. Just figured I'd throw it in just in case.

The bamboo plants are not aquatic plants and will die if fully submerged, if that is happening they could be some of the cause for high ammonia, they look ok in the picture though. Go ahead and do the big water changes, if anything it would slow the cycle a bit but would keep your axolotls in top shape.

I took the bamboo, vase and egg rock out and did a large water change. I tested 30 minutes later (not sure how long to wait for testing) and the results were...

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

I'll test again in 24 hours and then do another water change this time taking out the caves and larger rock. (Not sure what kind it is but I got it in the aquarium section of the pet store.)

The carbon part of the filter is that black charcoal looking stuff correct? I replaced both the sponge and charcoal stuff one already though not at the same time but I still have the original ceramic beads. Someone told me to not replace it.

I took the bamboo, vase and egg rock out and did a large water change. I tested 30 minutes later (not sure how long to wait for testing) and the results were...

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

I'll test again in 24 hours and then do another water change this time taking out the caves and larger rock. (Not sure what kind it is but I got it in the aquarium section of the pet store.)

The carbon part of the filter is that black charcoal looking stuff correct? I replaced both the sponge and charcoal stuff one already though not at the same time but I still have the original ceramic beads. Someone told me to not replace it.

Yes, the carbon is the charcoal. You are on the right track! I really think you should permanently keep the bamboo out of the tank, as it is not aquatic. I tried some bamboo too at one point, and it was dong the same thing and also developing a slime on the stalks.
I also agree on maximizing your filter box, and using as much filter media as it will hold.
I'm thinking of the slate tiles... are they glued down using silicone, or just laid in place?
Organic matter and debris can get trapped underneath either way. This can easily cause problems with ammonia buildup.

The slate is two large pieces and one smaller piece just laying down. No glue or anything. I usually lift them up and get all the nasty gunk from underneath them and wipe them clean with an aquarium sponge to get the slime off from under it.

Yeah the bamboo does get slime on the stalks. My caves also get a thick slime on them also. All these water changes are starting to do some soreness to my lower back but as long as my axies are getting healthy then I'll continue!

The slate is two large pieces and one smaller piece just laying down. No glue or anything. I usually lift them up and get all the nasty gunk from underneath them and wipe them clean with an aquarium sponge to get the slime off from under it.

Yeah the bamboo does get slime on the stalks. My caves also get a thick slime on them also. All these water changes are starting to do some soreness to my lower back but as long as my axies are getting healthy then I'll continue!

Sore back... yes, I certainly understand!
Get an Aqueon or Python water changer hose. It attaches to your kitchen or bathroom faucet.

I want to 2nd the Aqueon/Python recommendation. They really do save you a lot of work.

Update on my axolotl water parameters.

The ammonia levels are still reaching 4.0ppm even after large daily water changes. I've eliminated decorations one by one. Is it still supposed to be reaching that high of a level even with daily water changes?

Today I'm down to a very bare aquarium besides two sad looking axolotls (and of course the filter) wondering what the heck is going on. I tested the water after I conditioned it and it was 0.50 ppm.

The real annoying part is that all my other 5 aquariums all have perfect water parameters with 0 ppm ammonia readings. So I know it can't be my water conditioner giving bad readings.

I'll test the axie water again in 24 hours.

Just for the heck of it, I would get another good ammonia testing kit and check the readings.

Update on my axolotl water parameters.

The ammonia levels are still reaching 4.0ppm even after large daily water changes. I've eliminated decorations one by one. Is it still supposed to be reaching that high of a level even with daily water changes?

Today I'm down to a very bare aquarium besides two sad looking axolotls (and of course the filter) wondering what the heck is going on. I tested the water after I conditioned it and it was 0.50 ppm.

The real annoying part is that all my other 5 aquariums all have perfect water parameters with 0 ppm ammonia readings. So I know it can't be my water conditioner giving bad readings.

I'll test the axie water again in 24 hours.

You really shouldn't be seeing the ammonia getting that high with large daily water changes.
If you aren't already, I would use Prime to condition/treat the water from now on. It detoxifies the ammonia. Keep persevering.
Perhaps try also adding a sponge filter to the tank so the bacteria have another place to do their job. Ati pro hydro sponges are great.

I haven't seen any other ammonia testing kits. The only ones I've come across are the API Master Kit which I already have. Even those test strips they sell don't test ammonia. It can be quite frustrating especially when my ammonia testing bottles are running low yet I still have a bunch of the other stuff that comes in a kit like so many PH bottles I don't need. lol

Maybe something nasty got in the seal of your tank and is leaching ammonia into the water?

I haven't seen any other ammonia testing kits. The only ones I've come across are the API Master Kit which I already have. Even those test strips they sell don't test ammonia. It can be quite frustrating especially when my ammonia testing bottles are running low yet I still have a bunch of the other stuff that comes in a kit like so many PH bottles I don't need. lol

Lol. I hear ya. Maybe just pick up another api ammonia kit and try it out. I'm sure that you will use it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back