Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Tank

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
image.jpgHi fellow axolotl keepers, I would like to post a photo of my aquarium and see if any of you fine folks would help me to improve it. Thank you!

Bette

Reaction score
I see fish in there. Do you currently have an axolotl in the tank? Fish can nip at axie gills and cause damage and stress. I would also recommend taking the driftwood out, since the sharp edges can be dangerous. Other than these things, you tank looks good. You could add some floating plants like duckweed or frogbit, and perhaps anubias.

sde

Reaction score
Sand all sharp parts of the driftwood down and it will be fine. Yes, the fish aren't a good idea to have with the axolotl, they can nip the gills of the axolotl or get eaten by the axolotl ( which is no big deal unless you don't want them to get eaten ).

allied123

Reaction score
there is too much water in there, at most it should be 1.5 x the length of the axolotl, so if its 20cm long you should ideally have 30cm of water depth

I think this information is very misleading... it should be a minimal of 1.5 times the length of the axie but more water = better water quality. Maybe if they had a very small/weak axie (or a floater) this might be true but with an older/larger axie it shouldn't really be a problem. Sorry please correct me if I'm wrong (and don't take offense steven) but I've heard this rule quoted as the minimum amount of water and it drives me crazy when people don't fill their tanks up.

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, I currently have a 6.5 inch leucistic named anonymous, hence my username. I have already sanded the edges down out there are still one or two I need to get done. Those fish are intended for snacks as well as aesthetics. This tank is still in progress and I plan to add some java moss and I will heed to the suggestion of floating plants.
Thanks,
Anonymous Axolotl

Bette

Reaction score
Water hyacinth and water lettuce are both really cool floating plants in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. I have both together with salvinia and duckweed. The water hyacinth is pretty hardy as long as you provide it with enough full spectrum light. Therefore, you should make sure that most of the water surface is covered by some type of floating plants.. otherwise the axolotls will get stressed by all the light.

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I have had feeder fish in the tank with both my lotls and they have never harmed them. They usually get eaten within a 24 hour span. I don't usually do more than 6, so unless you have a slow moving, or ill axie, as well as 10 or more feeders that are bigger than 2 inches I don't think you should have a problem. I know everyone has different problems with different axies and fish, but I have never had a problem with feeder fish. My local pet store thinks its actually fantastic to keep feeders in with lotls because they suffice as entertainment for them!

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,
I would like to post an update on my tank. I have duckweed at the surface and a java fern and another which I forget. Please post suggestions on what I should do next.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, I just thought it would be useless to start an new one.
Thanks,
Anonymous Axolotl

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 191

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I can't quite tell in the picture, and maybe its just weird lighting, but you don't have gravel on the bottom of your tank do you?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!