Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PetCo Sand

Ace

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever used the PetCo brand super naturals sand as a substrate and if it is suitable for axolotls. Thanks!

Ace

Reaction score
Didn't mean to type "super naturals". I was thinking of CaribSea.

allied123

Reaction score
I have a black petco brand sand and loved it so much I actually put it in another tank too, no problems and it was super fine sand, perfect for the axies (not that I really love petco but that sand was just what I was looking for)

Ace

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you! I think I'll try it then :)

AbrahamAxolotl

Reaction score
I also have been using the CaribSea brand Super Naturals because I find it's finer than the other sands out there and so I'm not worried about lotls swallowing it with food. The bags come with a sample of some chemical for cloudiness, which you should just throw out. Be aware though that the sand is SUPER cloudy and once I made the mistake of adding it without pre-rinsing it and it took HOURS for the cloudiness to go away. I had my lotl in a tub out of the tank during this so it wouldn't get in his eyes, though. Also a little bit went a long way - I ordered 4 bags for my 40B and ended up only using 3 of them. It's fun to see all the little lotl feet prints in the sand, too. :)

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I'm using it in one tank.

It is very fine, and it looks nice, but because it is very fine, some of it leaves with every water changes. It also gets into the filter, so if possible, you should raise the filter inlet up a few inches off of the bottom.

Ace

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your input guys! Really appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1