Need help with my axolotls

Wiz Khalifa

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Ok so first of all, i need to say i stuffed up.
So basically a few days ago, i went out with friends. Somehow we ended up in a pet shop. And maybe in the heat of the moment, i ended up buying two axolotls, (around 5 cmish in length), a tank set up, food and all that stuff.
So i got water from some other fish tanks, and the rest was de-chlorinated water, i added some stresscoat and that was about it.
The axolotls dont seem to be unhappy ( no forward gills or curved tail) except they swim around the tank and hit their heads everywhere, after they hit their heads they float motionlessly for about 1 second as if they were paralyzed, and then they start swimming agian.
The tank they're in is 40 L at the moment but when they get bigger i'll upgrade it. There's plants and a hiding spot in the tank. My other concern about the tank is that when i bought the tank from the shop, there was these tiny pieces of gravel inside the tank (look at pic for gravel size) and they couldnt be stuffed taking the gravel out. I asked them if the gravel was ok for axolotls and they said everything should be mine, just that i need to give everything a rinse. But looking around the forums, it seems that sand or bare bottom is the best, however i have also seen tiny gravel in other peoples tanks on the forum. I dont know if i should replace this gravel with sand because the shop keeper called this gravel grit and i dont know by gravel if people meant river rocks or this type of gravel.
Oh yeah, and the temp sits at around 20 degrees celsius, sometimes gets higher so i just add a icebottle.
Thank you for reading and any help is appreciated. I know i screwed up so please dont make any "you shouldnt of done that" comments, i cant change the past, i can only act in the present.
photo.php

TL:DR: i stuffed up, axolotl banging head everywhere.

Last edited:
I've been guilty of walking into a fish store and walking out with unplanned/unresearched purchases too. :happy:

First thing - yes, the sand/grit/small gravel should go. Axolotls should be on a bare bottom until they are much larger than that. The picture isn't coming up, so I don't know if it is small enough to go back in later.

Second - since you have fish tanks, you probably have a water test kit. What are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at? ==> Axolotls are more sensitive to nitrate than fish, so if you used a lot of fish tank water, your nitrates could be too high (over 40 ppm) already.

Third - how bright is your tank? Axolotls would rather not be in bright light.

Fourth - I'm assuming you are familiar with cycling a tank, correct?

Good luck! :happy:

1) Headbanging: axolotls are idiots. Adorable, fascinating idiots. They get spooked or feel like going on an adventure and swim as fast as possible. Being in a tank, they run into glass. The pause after that is incomprehension at the existence of glass, not being stunned. If they are getting spooked often, think about what could be causing it? It may just be that the rank is small.

2) Axolotls should never be kept with anything smaller than their head, because they will eat it and die. Adults can be kept on sand because it will pass through their system. It will block up a juvenile. Gravel needs to go before you do anything else.

3) Do daily water changes until the tank is cycled.

4) Axolotls are hardy animals. They are forgiving of most beginner mistakes. They let you know when they are stressed or unhappy. Don't freak out too hard. ;)

5) What are you feeding them?

1. Test your water, change water, get rid of any substrate and cycle the tank,. 40L is OK for now, feed them bloodworms.
2. Go read everything on axolotl.org.
3. Read lots on this forum.
4.Get some slightly more responsible friends.
5. Go tell the pet shop they are irresponsible for selling you an animal when you had no idea of their care, and for giving you wrong info. Direct them here if needed.

That's exactly how I ended up with my first axolotls over 25 years ago, I fell in love with their big smiling faces staring at me through the glass :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back