Hello From NY

XCardenas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm looking forward to learning all there is to know about axolotls. I breed Ball pythons ,Leopard geckos , bearded dragons and a handful of feeders but this is my 1st time with an axolotl and I plan on making sure it has everything it needs. So any and all information is welcome.

Thanks Seth. I Bookmarked it. I've got all the basics down and have my axolotl in a 30 gallon it's living the life right now.

Here's my guy

Attachments

• 20141130_161920.jpg
    20141130_161920.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 107
That is a nice looking axolotl! Be careful with that fish in there though, they can nip you axolotls gills and might end up a snack for the axolotl.

Noted seth. I read somewhere axolotls can and will eat small fish like guppys, and red rosies.. all of the fish in the aquarium are feeders and have seen it eating some. If they become a problem I'll remove them and only get as much as it will eat in one sitting. He ate about 8 of them in 10 minutes the other day. He also gets pellets and tubifex. I'll be working on getting Salmon pellets soon as well.

Earthworms or night crawlers are ideal, they are best nutritionally and are usually devoured by axolotls. Though high quality pellets are fine too. ( basically what I am saying is that fish aren't a good staple diet )

Welcome to the forum!
Seth gave you some good advice. May I also suggest that you replace the fine gravel with sand? It looks like it could definitely cause a blockage for your young axie if ingested. And they always do end up eating some of the substrate.

Welcome to the forum!
Seth gave you some good advice. May I also suggest that you replace the fine gravel with sand? It looks like it could definitely cause a blockage for your young axie if ingested. And they always do end up eating some of the substrate.

Will do bette. The gravel I'm using is plant gravel less than 1mm I've seen my axolotl get some in its mouth as it eats pellets but 100% of the time spits em back out. If you have a suggestion on a brand of aquarium sand that would be great. I was also going to contact you about purchasing some babies. I'll p.m you and we can talk. Thanks for the advice.

Okay, sounds good. Cheap, nice looking sand: fine grain pool filter sand or kids play sand (non-colored). Either way, you will need to thoroughly rinse the sand before using it. Pool filter sand will not require as much rinsing though. :happy:

Okay, sounds good. Cheap, nice looking sand: fine grain pool filter sand or kids play sand (non-colored). Either way, you will need to thoroughly rinse the sand before using it. Pool filter sand will not require as much rinsing though. :happy:

Thanks. My local home depot has 50lb bags of pool filter sand for 5 bucks. I'll get a bag tomorrow and do a water change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back