Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank Siphon Pump

Bluemoonjo

Reaction score
Would something like this be good to use?

Amazon Pump

The price is defiantly right :D Some of the others are a lot more expensive. Is it a "you get what you pay for item"?

KCKme

Reaction score
Bought this one or one just like it. It works great. In fact we use it more than the mini Aquino siphon we purchased. We did remove the sprinkler cap.

Bluemoonjo

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks!
Have you by chance tried the cheap $8ish digital thermometers? I'm thinking it would be more accurate than the traditional floatie ones, if they work. The reviews on Amazon are mixed, they either love it it hate it.

KCKme

Reaction score
I did buy several digital thermometers on Amazon. Seems like that was about the price. Would have to see the one you are looking at to be sure. I like the ones with the suction cup on the big part to attach to the outside of the tank. The battery seems to run out fast on some of them. For the price its worth getting one or two extra.

Bluemoonjo

Reaction score
This is the one I was looking at, it takes a "watch" battery, that I've ordered before from Amazon in a 5 pack for $5.

$7 on Amazon

Although, I was peeking around on eBay and see what looks to be the same thing for $3-$4

KCKme

Reaction score
Hi. yes this is the one we use. My daughter and I like it, seems to work fine it's showing tank temperature at 61F, axies are happy so it must be pretty accurate. I do suggest getting more than one, you'll want another for your container when you pull out your axie's for tank cleanings. Thanks for the tip to look for them on ebay for cheaper!

Leash44

Reaction score
My syphon has a hand pump that looks just like that one and I love it! I will never have to put my mouth on a tube again lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1