Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please Help :(

Kiwi Girl

Reaction score
Hi when we returned from holiday I noticed my golden axolotol had some redening to his back leg & his front leg was twisted in an odd way. He seemed fine despite these 2 observations from myself the last 2 days however he has been sitting on the top of the tank & this morning when I went to check on him he has both limbs missing on his right side does anyone know whats going on? I have added some photos hope these may help. :(

Last edited:

Kaleya

Reaction score
Are there other axolotls in the tank with him? If so, it's possible the others nipped him up out of hunger. They have cannibalistic tendencies. If not, check the water levels and temperature, he could be stressing out. They tend to drop limps when they get over stressed.

Kiwi Girl

Reaction score
Hi thank you I did initally think that the female could have inflicted these wounds on him I have removed him from the main tank for now to see how he heals. As I am only new at owning them both what temperature should there tank be at please & how long would it take for his limbs to grow back?

Kaleya

Reaction score
Most likely she did it to him if they were in the same tank. The temperature should be kept lower, 60's, try not to exceed 72 degrees Fahrenheit. It will take a few months for regrowth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1