Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hibernaculum for terretris?

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
I have been toggling the Idea of having an outdoor enclosure, but as I have been reading up to keep this species outdoors all round you would nee hibernaculum but what is that and how would you make one?

sde

Reaction score
From Wikipedia;
Hibernaculum
Hibernaculum plural form: hibernacula (Latin, "tent for winter quarters") is a word used in zoology to refer to a place of abode in which a creature seeks refuge, such as a bear using a cave to overwinter. Insects may hibernate to survive the winter. The word can be used to describe a variety of shelters used by various kinds of animals, for instance, bats, marmots and snakes.

A hibernaculum is essentially a ( usually ) underground chamber for ( in this case ) amphibians to retreat. They can be as simple as a burrow under a log, or as complex as a underground "room" in a enclosure. In the wild salamanders often retreat underground, where they aren't exposed to the elements and the temperature will be a bit warmer. Ideally a hibernacula in a enclosure will be below the frost line. A hibernacula can be made several ways: Making a burrow or tunnel into the ground lined with PVC piping or something to support the top section of the burrow or tunnel; making a separate lower area ( "room" ) under the ground in the enclosure that salamanders can retreat to; putting a log, rock, or other large heavy surface object that the salamanders can easily burrow under; or even a layer of rocks extending into the ground. Use your imagination, there are all sorts of ways to make a hibernacula. Basically, you just want the salamander to be able to retreat underground where it wont be exposed and where it is slightly warmer. I myself have a underground "room" for my Salamandra salamandra terrestris where they can go to or I can put them in when it gets cold. They also have a log and rock to burrow and hide under. The room style hibernacula's will probably have to be built into the actual enclosure frame. The frame of my outdoor vivarium is basically a rectangular wooden box, and so for the hibernacula I simply made a slanted board on one side extending to ground level. I will attach a picture. A artificially made tunnel of burrow style hibernacula can be made by putting a PVC pipe on or near the bottom of the enclosure at a very gradual angle and then filling up the enclosure with substrate around the pipe. Additionally you could connect multiple pipes together to have a whole underground system, but that will make it difficult to monitor the salamanders. Another way to make a tunnel or burrow style hibernacula is to dig into the substrate a bit and then place a halved PVC pipe at a angle resting on the substrate. Then simply cover the top with the substrate you dug up. Ideally you want to be able to check on the salamanders while they are in their hibernacula, so try and make all areas of the hibernacula visible.
Hopefully this will give you and idea of what a hibernacula is and how to make one. -Seth

( Picture); http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...010256-will-outdoor-vivaria-work-p1160029.jpg

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
Thanks for the infomation I didn't know it could be so simple.I am currently building my outdoor enclosure hopefully done before june.Harry

manderkeeper

Reaction score
You seem to be in a good location for breeding salamanders, your average winter temps show as above 0 and summer temps never get hot. I have the opposite issue, hot summers and cold winters lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1