Axie attack !! need help.

Stacey87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
axie-addict
Hi all, i wish i was returning on a more positive note, but i'm not :-( for some strange reason my wildtype has decided to try and eat my albino, hes nipped off practically all her legs ad the tip of her tail, these two have been together in the same tank since i got them, nothing has changed regarding food, tank, parameters, decorations, filter, water changes or anything, i'm really baffled and obviously upset, i removed her from the tank as soon as i noticed she was injured (when i came in from work)
Now the question is what can i do to help relieve her pain or make her comfortable, and help her to recover, any info would be great.

Thanx in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 664
The poor thing! Keep her separated, and maintain cool, clean water for her (but do not put her in the fridge). Be very diligent about keeping her water clean. Feed her well. Closely monitor her for signs of fungus.
Some people recommend putting an indian almond leaf in the water as a mild anti-fungal... but I have never used it in my personal experience.

The poor thing! Keep her separated, and maintain cool, clean water for her (but do not put her in the fridge). Be very diligent about keeping her water clean. Feed her well. Closely monitor her for signs of fungus.
Some people recommend putting an indian almond leaf in the water as a mild anti-fungal... but I have never used it in my personal experience.

thank you for your reply, she is in a small tank on her own now and she is still eating ok, i'm doing a water change after every meal, at the minute i'm feeding her smaller amounts more often, (don't know if that's the right thing to do), never had anything like this to deal with before :-(

will her legs and toes grow back?

also do you have any ideas as to why after a few year he would suddenly turn on her?

and is he likely to do it again?

Thanx again.

thank you for your reply, she is in a small tank on her own now and she is still eating ok, i'm doing a water change after every meal, at the minute i'm feeding her smaller amounts more often, (don't know if that's the right thing to do), never had anything like this to deal with before :-(

will her legs and toes grow back?

also do you have any ideas as to why after a few year he would suddenly turn on her?

and is he likely to do it again?

Thanx again.

I think that the way you are feeding her is fine. Her legs and toes should grow back, but they may not grow back perfectly. Not sure why this occurred in the first place... but sometimes they get hungry and attack.
How often do you feed them and how much?
It is possible that it could happen again. It's hard to say.

I think that the way you are feeding her is fine. Her legs and toes should grow back, but they may not grow back perfectly. Not sure why this occurred in the first place... but sometimes they get hungry and attack.
How often do you feed them and how much?
It is possible that it could happen again. It's hard to say.

i normally put about 6 bloodworm cubes in every 2-3 days, and the days i dont give bloodworms i feed them 2-3 earthworms each depending on the size of the worms.
i did have three axies in total but my brother took one a few weeks ago, the gold albino i gave away used to breed with my wildtype, my white albino (the injured one) has never ever layed any eggs. dunno if hes missing the golden one and if that would have any impact on his behaviour or not. other than that im baffled, i think im feeding them enough !!!!
thanx

well at least think shes a she anyway lol. ill add a picture of her before she got attacked.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 276
ill also add a picture of my tank, its big enough for them, so its not as if theyre fighting for space either !!

Attachments

• 1005444_10153103966780644_883444267_n.jpg
    1005444_10153103966780644_883444267_n.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 237
Definitely looks like a "she" to me. Also looks like she had a missing toe to begin with. Is it possible there were already problems and you just hadn't noticed? Poor little thing.

I don't have a concrete answer for you, but maybe feed him more while they are separated and see if it seems like an appetite thing and maybe consider a divider in the tank when you put her back in for a while to help monitor them a little better before they're completely together. And keep a close eye on water parameters in case you missed something there?

Good luck with her~

Edit: beautiful tank btw!

Definitely looks like a "she" to me. Also looks like she had a missing toe to begin with. Is it possible there were already problems and you just hadn't noticed? Poor little thing.

I don't have a concrete answer for you, but maybe feed him more while they are separated and see if it seems like an appetite thing and maybe consider a divider in the tank when you put her back in for a while to help monitor them a little better before they're completely together. And keep a close eye on water parameters in case you missed something there?

Good luck with her~

Edit: beautiful tank btw!

Thanks for your reply, yeah she'd had that toe missing a while, but I didnt know what happened to it, now im.guessing it was probably him :-/ I was thinking about using a divider, i really dont want this to.happen again feel really sorry for her and feel like a bad mam :-(
Would you reccomend salt baths, or is that mainly for Fungus/bacteria??
Thanx again.

Oh I have no idea about salt baths with axies. Sorry. Hopefully a senior member will respond.

Salt baths are usually only for fungus treatment. No need for this unless there is a moderate to severe fungal issue.

And it does sound like you are feeding them enough. Perhaps try introducing sinking salmon pellets to round out their diet. Blood worms are not a very balanced food for axolotls. Earthworms are very good, however.

And it does sound like you are feeding them enough. Perhaps try introducing sinking salmon pellets to round out their diet. Blood worms are not a very balanced food for axolotls. Earthworms are very good, however.

Thankfully no Fungus is present so ill say away from salt baths :)
Ive not seen or tried any sinking pellets, i did get some normal pellets but they floated and my axies wouldnt entertain them! I shall have another look around and find some, he does normally seem to eat more than the female, but if i put more food in, i find myself fishing it back out before it soils the water, i think I might feed more earthworms he always eats them and definitely find some sinking pellets.
Thanks for the replies :)

Ok cheers ill have a look see if they ship to uk? If a cant find any near to me.
Thanx :)

Ok cheers ill have a look see if they ship to uk? If a cant find any near to me.
Thanx :)

Whoops! Didn't realize that you were across the pond! Check with auntie jude... she can steer you in the right direction if you cannot get the ones I recommended.

Whoops! Didn't realize that you were across the pond! Check with auntie jude... she can steer you in the right direction if you cannot get the ones I recommended.

Ha ha yeah I am, I will dm auntie jude and see if she can help or steer menin the right direction thanx again for all for replys.

Not auntie Jude, but if you type axolotl pellets into ebay you will see nova Lotl which I use, and have also purchased them at aquatic shops.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back