Sponge Filter?

JayFaye

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! I've been looking into getting a new filter for Toothless, and I've read some threads on here already about it, but I was wondering your suggestions? From what I've read on here, it sounds like people tend to favor sponge filters. They sound pretty nice, but I've also never used one! Do you feel they're pretty simple/worth it? Should something else be paired with it (in terms of additional filtration)?

Or do you have even a totally different suggestion for filters? :) Let me know what works best for your axies!

Sponge filters provide fantastic biological filtration and don't create much currant in the water. However they aren't the best at mechanical filtration, so it wont remove quite as much debris etc.. -Seth

My favorite filter for axie tanks is one or two ATI pro hydro sponge filters, hooked up to a Fusion air pump (they are sooo quiet). You will need to do weekly 20% water changes minimum with this setup.... but you should be doing this anyway for optimal axolotl health.
On one of my tanks, I have a small low-flow HOB filter with a sponge pre-filter on the intake which is working nicely too. If you have a HOB with stronger flow, you can rig up a cut pvc pipe, etc, which can effectively break the strong current created from the waterfall effect. There is a good thread on the forum somewhere about this.

Note: if you are cycling your tank with the axolotl in the tank, you will need to do more frequent water changes until the cycle has been established.

That's what I had read, Seth, so I was wondering if there was a good way to still provide the mechanical, or if sucking up all the gross stuff on a regular basis would do the trick(?).

Bette, I'll go check that out! I was hoping for a quieter one. And yeah, doing those water changes is already a weekly norm, so that's fine. Does one of your tanks just have those sponge filters then? Additionally, do you think that's enough? :)

Yes, the sponge filters are enough. Most of my axolotl tanks have only one or two sponge filters.

Sponge filters take out some stuff, just not a lot. Their suction isn't as good as a power filters.
If you have a siphon then you can just suck out the bad stuff while doing a water change. If not, then a turkey baster works well too. Also, if you have a bare bottom tank then all the bad stuff will be easy to spot and suck up, so a power filter isn't really necessary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back