How to convince Mom for a lotl?

C

Cliygh and Mia

I am trying to move from owning reptiles and frogs and at least keep one member of the order Caudata. I determined that the easiest to start with are the tiger salamanders (which I am leaning towards) Or the Axolotls (never mind, I think I have decided on the lotl) but, my mom isn't so happy on the subject. I personally think that she doesn't like any animals (the only herp I think she liked were Australian blue whites tree frogs) and I would like some tips on how to convince her. Thanks in advance!

Tell her you want a Tarantula at first, she'll surely say no way! But then afer you've pretended to sulk for a while, tell her you would settle for an Axolotl instead. It'll be easier to let you have an axie than to listen to you constantly pestering for the horrid scary spider! ;)

That's actually a pretty good strategy! I think I'll do that right now! :D

If my kids really wanted a pet, I would wait/stall them just to make sure it wasn't an impulse buy. Since you already have reptiles, you already "know what your getting into", so I'm not sure that applies.

Could it be a the extra cost? Could you sell some of the reptiles and use the money for the new pet? Ask for extra chores to earn the money? Could you write up a "expense" letter saying how much the up front and monthly costs would be? I always tell my kids "put it in writing" when they want something odd. Its part joke, but makes them think more on it.

Do you have a birthday soon? This could be the "only thing you really want".

Have you shown her a picture of how adorable they are? LOL

Hope Morrison doesn't mind me reusing this (this is her art and words:)

why_axolotls_are_awesome_by_morrison3000-d6m6nfr.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back