Pre-Axolotl

Bunthree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've set up the tank according to all the great advice here and enquired about getting an axolotl. I'm just double checking everything i'm about to do is ok. I've got frozen bloodworm cubes and carnivorous pellets and a ready supply of worms in the garden if the ground thaws out. My daughter has been waiting for this since about last April and is very excited. It's our first dip into the amphibian world. We've got fish and furries but this is new. Any advice about transportation in the car (about 1 hour) and first few days in the tank would be great.:D ill try and post a pic of the tank.:confused:

image.jpg

For transporting in the car, a small cooler works. That keeps it dark, keeps the temperature stable and helps keep the bag/container from moving around. Some crumpled paper or small towels can be used inside the cooler (if necessary) to keep the bag/container from shifting in the cooler.

It is stressful to the axolotl to move to a new tank, and some are more stressed than others. Sometimes, the axolotl won't want to eat for a few days. (And sometimes, they will eat right away.) So, offer food but don't leave it uneaten in the tank. Often, dropping food so it just misses the end of the axolotl's nose will cause it to instinctively snap at the food, even if it is too nervous to go hunting around the tank for food.

Also, to reduce stress, make sure your daughter (and other children) know to move slowly around the tank as to not startle the axolotl.

Enjoy your new friend!

Thanks for that. Give me a furry beast and I'm fine. This has just thrown me completely!

Nice tank, I love it! We are in a similar situation. I have a cat and fish, and have had dogs, birds and rodents in the past but this is our first amphibian. They are for me and my daughter who is 8. She has been patiently waiting since about October when she first discovered them. I researched a lot and decided to make it her big Christmas gift and then we set the tank up and cycled it for the last month. Our 2 new babies shipped yesterday and are arriving on Tuesday! We can't wait to meet them. I can only imagine how excited your daughter is, having waited since April. What colors will you be getting? We decided on 2 leucistic.

We're getting 1 leucistic I think. Collecting on Sunday. You will need to film your grand opening! The planning of what room to put the axy in took long enough as we probably over considered all the things that stress them.... and the choosing of the play sand colour.....these things are very important to a 14 yr old. :eek:

The sand looks a little thick, not a big deal, but I would either take some out (i.e. less than an inch all over) or be very sure to stir up the sand every water change and/or when you turkey baster poop or whatever because the sand can build up anaerobic gas which is harmful if ingested.

It's awesome that you're taking your time to make sure the set up is correct.

Cycled the tank for 3 weeks and tested ph etc. have laid a slate on top for a feeding area and Pob was brought home on the train today. thanks everyone. I'll get some sand out carefully.

The sand is extra fine pink play sand thoroughly rinsed many times. Pob looks good against the colour!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back