Not eating... stress related??

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
Ok so i am trying to breed burrito and am borrowing a huge male from someone
the water parameters r fine and burrito is pretty fat but she has stopped eating since i added the male
he is not vicious towards her and eats a lot of food
if anything, he should be stressed ober the 10 gallon tank but burrito hasnt been eating despite me offerring food every day
also, she keeps opening and closing her mouth like she's talking and the both of them r surface breathing (my theory is chalchi and his huge size rapidly take up the DO)
could she be constipated? just full? is she ovulating again (she eats less when she ovulates)?
should i cool the water down??

She probably is stressed, even if he is being nice. He is big and new.

Are you continuing to monitor tank parameters? Adding a big male with a good appetite in there could overload the filter's capacity.

I think you are right about low dissolved oxygen being the cause of the yawning and going up for air (unless the tank parameters are now off.) That could be an additional source of stress. Perhaps if you put an air stone in there, it would help.

Cooling the water down would help with the dissolved oxygen (colder water holds more dissolved gasses) and also might trigger spawning so you could return Chalchi to his home.

She probably is stressed, even if he is being nice. He is big and new.

Are you continuing to monitor tank parameters? Adding a big male with a good appetite in there could overload the filter's capacity.

I think you are right about low dissolved oxygen being the cause of the yawning and going up for air (unless the tank parameters are now off.) That could be an additional source of stress. Perhaps if you put an air stone in there, it would help.

Cooling the water down would help with the dissolved oxygen (colder water holds more dissolved gasses) and also might trigger spawning so you could return Chalchi to his home.

i checked the parameters and everything is in safe range
i can add a bubbler and have been cooling the water and doing daily water changes
it could also be that burrito is ready to spawn and that has decreased her appetite/made her vomit before

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back