Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: New axolotl and quite a few new problems

Delzoun

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure whether to put this under illness or question.

Anyways, I recently purchased another axolotl (wild type) about 5 inches long so I knew it was a juvenile. I asked questions and they said that they are nearing out of their cannibalism stage and that they did not attack each other, despite having 4 or 5 in the same tank, all juvies. I picked out the healthiest and most active of them and into my tank she went. For the first day they seemed to be getting along very well and saw no aggressive behavior. Long story short later that night I came back and saw that the new one was missing 2 toes on his right arm and that my original leucistic's arm was torn very badly.

I quickly moved the new one to a quarantined tank, very cold water to help him. I decided however that the damage on my original's arm was pretty rough and that since I was going to fridge him anyways (he somehow got an air bladder infection, so nonstop floating D: ) that it should help recovery as well. I fridged him 5 hours ago (and put the wild into the tank they were both in keeping it cold and dark) and just recently checked on him. The temperature is at 43 degrees farenheit (6.1 celcius) so prime temperature as far as I have read from the many guides I've read. So when I opened it up to clean out poo and give him a bit of food, it turns out he was still swimming around. He ate some bloodworms which is good, but I'm not sure that he's supposed to be swimming around? This is my first time fridging and I've never heard of anything like this happening. Any answers are greatly appreciated! :D Sorry I didn't think to get pics at the time, I wanted to get him back in as soon as possible, I'll upload pics later today or is it safe to open him back up and take pics?

I just went to the store and got a few supplies, and so now when I return my original I'll have a divider between the two until my new one starts being more friendly. I've done tests on pH and Ammonia, all good. I don't know where my stuff for nitrates/nitrites went but last time I checked they were fine. My tank is very clean as I have been doing 10% water changes every 2-3 days and I do not think there is much of a chance of infection or fungus for my wild one missing two of his toes, but I was wondering if I should give him a tea bath just to be sure. I could not get my hands on any Holtfreter's solution which I heard is great or any Indian almond tree leaves which I also heard are great for that. If you know any easy way to get that please tell me for future reference! Thanks. Lastly I don't think this is too much of an issue, because it may still be because the new one is still pretty new, but she won't eat. I tried hand feeding her some blood worms yesterday, didn't accept, then I tried hand feeding some today. Still didn't work. And now I tried some tubifex worms just now, she took them, then she immediately spit them out and won't try again. She was being fed on sinking salmon pellets I believe, which I don't like to feed my axolotls, so I really want her to eat these foods. Is it just because she is new, or is she being a picky eater and I should try earthworms next?

Jeez, I'm so sorry for this huge wall of text, I just feel the need to give as much details as possible and hopefully it's helpful and thank you so much for going through the trouble of reading it. Any tips on anything and any answers on anything to help for future or currently are extremely helpful. Thanks! :D

charleybambino

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means but everything I've read says that axolotl do not have swim/ air bladders like fish.Check out previous threads for floating.......is fridging necessary?
Quarentine of a new axi is a good idea anyway as who knows what a newbie could bring to your tank.
I think pet shops will tell you anything to make a sale
Hope all goes well but it would appear some axi just do not get along
whilst others live in harmony.

Delzoun

Reaction score
Well I feel dumb for not knowing that they don't have swim bladders, and after how long... But yeah he's been having an issue where he can't stop floating, as he does purposefully try to stop.
I do actually trust these sellers as they do know what they are doing, maybe it's because apparently wild types do tend to be more aggressive to other colors of axies. I just learned that today.
Thanks for the response!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, axies do not have swim bladders. Floating is a sympton of dozens of different things. Fridging is not a cure for floating, and will actually hinder healing at 6C. The best temp for healing is about 10C. Fridging is a long term treatment and is usually done for days rather than hours - constant temperature swings are stressful.

Axies do not have a 'cannibalistic stage', they are cannibalistic their whole lives. Axies should be quarantined for a month before adding them to an existing tank, and axies should be the same size to be in the same tank.

Indian almond leaves are a good precaution, if you can't get any at your LFS try online.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1