Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some of the babies are swimming weird?

Marizna

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/117346498

Okay, this is one of the first times I've ever posted, but I've been lurking for close to a year now. I've had adult axolotls for that amount of time also, I have 5 adults of different colors. I wasn't really interested in breeding any of mine but I really wanted to try and raise some. I got everything I would need and then I purchased some GFP eggs from Bette. (Just wanted to say she was great and sent me a care sheet and everything!) I have 34 babies that hatched out of 37 eggs. The other three stopped developing early on. They've all been hatched for about 4 days now, the last few hatched on Saturday the 17th. They've been eating well on bbs twice a day and I completely change the water a few hours after I feed them. I'm worried because some of them swim weird. It's kind of like they go crazy and start going in circles really fast and twitching. I was wondering if there was something wrong with the ones that do that? Not all of them do it and the ones that do don't do it all the time. Are they going to be okay? I tried to upload a video of it so I hope that worked. I'm sorry for the audio in the video, my boyfriend was watching King of the Hill.

Bette

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words :happy:.
They look good. Apparently, some are extremely enthusiastic eaters! When they twitch and move like that, they are feeding. Do you find that there is a lot of wasted BBS after several hours? If so, you could reduce the amount you are feeding each time. Somtimes if there is a very high concentration of live food around them, they can get a bit annoyed and stressed.

Marizna

Reaction score
Haha. Yeah. I put WAY too much in there that time. When I started the next hatchery, I used 1/4 the amount of brine shrimp eggs I used before. Lol. I'm still learning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1