Question: Feeding farmed earthworms

richardtheb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I am setting up my 46-gallon bowfront tank to home a couple of Axolotls, and I was wondering about feeding. Specifically, I'd like to feed them home-farmed earthworms, bred in a vermiculture farm with kitchen waste and the like. Has anybody done this, and are nice juicy earthworms a good long-term food?

Richard

Thanks for the link, antiejude. If I may ask, how many axolotls were you able to feed with a 25 liter Dendrobaena farm, and do you give the axolotls any supplements or the like?

I have 12 axies, I have to top up my tub about every 2-3 months. I'd say a 25L tub with a 1kg of worms could be self sufficient for 3-5 axies, depending on individual apetites.

Excellent, thanks! I'm planning on two axies, but that size would leave some more for special occasions (Christmas for a nice roast worm, etc) and plenty of breeding stock.

Hi I have a store bought Dendrobaena and my ax spits it out. Any idea why he does not want to eat it ?

He is rather small, 4 inch, so I chopped it into smaller peaces but still he does not want to eat :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back