Help with sexing

A side view and straight down from the top would help. :happy:

Edited post..wrong link.

I'm thinking she looks female, but at that size, sometimes they just haven't reached sexual maturity.

I thought I had 3 males and one female until a couple of weeks ago, when the female started looking more and more male. He looked a lot like yours up until then.

Mm ill get more pics this weekend, see if a top view helps.

Im hoping to order the other sex soon, I have a male lined up but I want to be sure.

I'll get an accurate measure when I get the pics.

Perhaps some of the experts can give a better guess based on shape, etc. Do you know how old she is?

Perhaps some of the experts can give a better guess based on shape, etc. Do you know how old she is?

I dont sadly, I got her early November, and she was about 3 or 4 inches at the time.

Just measured her agenst the glass. 7 inches.

Last edited:
I would say male. It has the enlarged cloacal, developing by the looks of the last picture

I think female, but I also think it is too early to be sure. They mature at different ages. One of my males looked female for about 4 months after his same-age brother was obviously male.

i would say female based on body shape
males r much thinner with a wider back and very flat tummy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back