Is this fungus?

cherryglue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our axolotl chawmp has been acting weird lately, first she got fat, we thought she was pregnant but she hasnt laid eggs at all recently and is still fat (bout a month or so) now today we noticed a white cluster of stuff on her gills :( is this fungus? any help is appreciated

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 118
It looks like fungus to me, but I am terrible at interpreting flat pictures. :happy:

Assuming it is fungus, as long as it doesn't spread, it will probably heal on its own, given good water conditions.

Check all of your water parameters. If nitrates are above 40 ppm, start doing water changes until it is well below that. It has been reported (and I have seen it myself) that high nitrates in the water are associated with more minor fungus infections. (If ammonia or nitrites are elevated, take care of that, ASAP as appropriate.)

Are there tank mates or anything in there that might have injured her gills for the fungus to take hold? If there are sharp or rough edges or places that could trap her gills, you should take care of that.

With respect to "fat", if it is eggs, she will not lay (and should just reabsorb them) unless there is a male to fertilize them

ill get to checking the water parameters that could very well be it, i forgot to mention last night in the post that one of the two filters we have running in the tank went out last week and it took a couple days to get it back and running again... there are two in that tank, however they are separated because we dont want chawmp getting pregnant over and over again, i recently took the divider out to clean it and within minutes our male was dancing and laying sperm which is why we thought she may be pregnant

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back