Question: Trying to convert a Fire bellied newt to be fully aquatic

Essgirl2002

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so my fire-bellied newt doesn't like the water at all. He avoids it at all costs and I know fire-bellied newts are supposed to be mostly aquatic. I read another post saying that you can make them fully aquatic by taking away all plants/decor (Places out of the water), placing reptile carpet in the bottom, and then add 2 inches of water. Then you gradually increase the water and add back plants and decor. Right now, I have one and a 1/2 inches of water with reptile carpet at the bottom of the tank. Is this okay?

I would have it in a shallow water tanks w/ no land areas but full of live plants, and gradually start increasing the water after a week or two. Without plants they can absolutely drown, I'm not sure why you would sue reptile carpet, paper towels do well for a temporary thing that you can replace every day, and I imaging reptile carpet could trap a lot of waste fouling your water.

I would have it in a shallow water tanks w/ no land areas but full of live plants, and gradually start increasing the water after a week or two. Without plants they can absolutely drown, I'm not sure why you would sue reptile carpet, paper towels do well for a temporary thing that you can replace every day, and I imaging reptile carpet could trap a lot of waste fouling your water.

Okay. I'll have to get some plants. What kinds of live plants do you recommend?

The tank he's in is 'his' tank. after he's adapted to the water, I'm not planning on moving him, just adding back his decor. I'm using Reptile carpet instead of paper towels in a attempt to lower my newt's stress level. I only have one newt, so I wash the reptile carpet weekly. With paper towels, I'd have to handle him daily in order to change the paper towel.

Java moss, java fern, hornwort, and elodea all work great and done require any substrate.
and describe "wash" lol

Lol by wash I mean

-Rinse, squish and roll the carpet in my clean, soap free sink.
-Squeeze out the carpet.
-Soak the carpet in cold water for 10-20 minutes.
-Put back in tank

Java moss, java fern, hornwort, and elodea all work great and done require any substrate.
and describe "wash" lol

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure mylocal pet store sells live plants, but if not, will fake ones be okay?

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure mylocal pet store sells live plants, but if not, will fake ones be okay?

Real plants help out with water quality which is important, especially in a tank with a low volume of water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back