Axoltol is sick please help!!!

devin19

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My 6 inch albino axalotol has white stuff growing on its gills and my other one is not moving at allnnot even when I touch it I'm really worried and I can't take pictures ....sorry but please help

OK, first thing to check when an axie is sick are the water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temperature.

Your first axie has fungus, so find the sticky on fungus and treat accordingly. Chances are that if your water quality is off your 2nd axie is just unhappy.

The water was at 17c and I bowled all the water and cooled it down just like the breeder said unfortunately
The other one passed yesterday due to a small rock from the breeders tank ...…i have sand that I rinsed very good and washed it with no chemicals I also have a slow flowing filter ....am I doing anything wrong ...and how do I get my alive one to eat

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your axolotl. Clean, good quality water will help heal your living axolotl. Have you cycled your tank? What are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? do you dechlorinate the water? Is it tap water you are using?

You can try tempting him/her to eat with earthworms. Earthworms are very nutritious and make a great staple diet. If he/she won't accept the worm live, you could try blanching the worm under hot water for a second (then immediately in cold water to stop the worm cooking). Blanching will kill the worm and stop the worm excreting a nasty tasting substance they sometimes do when under threat.

Its all cleaned out ( the tank ) new water washed sand and I checked the water with dip sticks using a cup and waiting ten seconds spinning it around and every thing is good I put it in the tank with all the new water and cleaned sand and its just sitting at the bottom not doing anything ...I've tried feed it bloodworms ,minnows frozen bloodworms now I've tried shrimp flakes and nothing won't move from that corner

Before you cleaned it out, what were the readings?

If the readings were high, your axolotl may take a while to recover, assuming it hasn't been too weakened by the ordeal.

Did you dechlorinate the water?

I'm guessing your tank isn't cycled? (Do you know what we are talking about whe we say "cycled"?)

Best course of action is to keep the water conditions good by changing water as necessary to keep the ammonia etc low. Hopefully, that will allow it to recover.

Yes I cleaned everything and made sure the pH and ammonia and nitrate and chlorine was all good but nothing ?

I also had the water tested at several petstores they all said its good

Don't take all good for an answer. In order to be of better help we need actual numbers. If you're going to test the water at the pest store, ask to see the numbers of the water parameters. It's recommended to get a liquid test water kit as the strips can be unreliable.

How do you clean your tank? Do you use soap or anything? Do you use any dechlorinator when adding new water into the tank? Have you put any kind of chemicals or anything in the tank? Give us a run down of the set up of your tank, filter and all of that and how you have cleaned your tank before and what you have used. With this information we can tell you if you're doing anything wrong and what you can change to make things better for your axolotl.

I wanted to add that if you get the numbers, you need to have ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates under 40. If the parameters in your tank are very different, don't freak out and change all of the water, as the change could shock your axolotl. If the parameters are very bad, I would do maybe about 25% water changes every few hours or every day so that your axolotl can get used to the new conditions. At least I believe that is the right way to do it.

When I clean it I use hot water and a new sponge and wash it for twenty to forty mins ...with the sand I have a container and I put the sand from the tank in the container and i wash that around and move it letting the water flow out for 15 mins ......GH level 0
Kh level 0 pH 6.0 NO 2 is at 0 and NO 3 0

My tank is a 28 gallon tall with a really slow filtration system
Should I maybe lower the water ? Its almost to the top

Are you filling your tank with distilled or reverse osmosis water or something? You should have some hardness otherwise.

If you are using distilled or the like, that is a major problem.

My tank is more hight then it is length can to much water hurt it or stress it out ...should I take some out ....(sorry trying to figure it out ....worried axlotol owner) but is the water OK ?

Tell us about your tank
1) What filter do you have?
2) What temperature are you keeping it at?

Tell us about what you have been doing to the tank, step by step. Some of what you have said (boiling water?) have me very confused. Specifically
1) What water are you using to fill it?
2) What water treatments/dechlorinators are you using?
3) How long have you had it?
4) Is is cycled?
5) How often do you change water and how much?

Typically, one does not totally clean a tank, like, with hot water. It kills the beneficial bacteria.

Where was your axolotl while this cleaning was going on?

Do you dechlorinate your tap water before putting it in the tank? (I'm assuming you are connected to a water system, not a well.)

Also, don't panic. It stresses you out and makes it more likely that you will make mistakes. :happy:

The tank height is not the cause of the fungus. Some people claim that the water shouldn't be too deep, but others claim it isn't an issue. Regardless, don't worry about the tank depth right now. It isn't the source of the problem.

The cleaning he/she was in tap water for a hour at 15c I cleaned all the water and sand using a container for the sand mixing the water and sand letting the water pour out while I'm mixing the sand I don't use and chemicals because the breeder never did and just kept a eye on the water and said it would be OK if I did the same (which I am) the filter I can't remeber the name of it but the ladies at the petstore who helped me pick the the filter owned four ..sorry for the no info on it ...but its black with a slow running water flow with like filmy texture filterscreen thingy in the black thing ( really sorry for the bad description) I keep the tempature at 16c degrees I've had it for 5 days and I haven't seen it eat at all just sits there in the corner

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back