Has anyone tried the Marineland Hidden LED Lighting System

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Laura
I want my axolotl tanks to have a bit more light, but I don't want to add a cover. Rather than suspending lights from the ceiling, I was thinking about these. Does anyone have experience with them? I don't want the lights to be too bright, obviously. I don't fill my tanks all the way up (since I like to be able to reach the bottom without getting my shirt wet), and so the light would be filtered by a nice layer of duck weed (thanks Bette!)

Freshwater Saltwater Reef Aquarium LED Lighting System | Marineland

I'm curious as well. I just bought this but I'm wondering if it's too bright. :(

Well, if it is too bright, strategically placed duct tape could dim it, I imagine. :happy:

You could try fitting the LED strip inside a plastic tube, This helps to diffuse and dim the light output

Well, I got one, and so far I like it. I got the 17" length to go in a 40 gal (36"x18") tank. I mounted it on the front, aiming back. I considered mounting on the side, but it didn't quite fit.

It was easy to mount - just slide the holder onto the lip of the tank. It is a tight enough fit that it won't knock off easily, but if it does, it is submersible. However, I am going to have to take some sand-paper to the corners of the holder, since I keep scratching myself on the corners when I reach in the tank

You can turn the LED tube to change where the light is aimed. which is very convenient. If I aim it into the tank, it seems pretty bright But if I aim it parallel to the water, it diffuses the light a lot. Then it seems reasonably lit in the back of the tank but too dim in the front of the tank, however. But I am pretty sure I will be able to figure out a way to aim or diffuse it (like the idea above) it to get lighting that pleases both me and the axies.

I am pretty sure I would not like this light mounted on the back of the tank, since the glare would be in my eyes when watching the tank, and there isn't something to shade the light in one direction.

It would be nice if you could reverse the side that the cord comes out of. Clearly, you can pop the light tube out, but the holder is not symmetric. However, the cord routing clips do keep it out of sight. Also, the switch has a suction cup to stick it to the outside of the tank in a location of your choice. The cord is nicely long.

This light produces enough high-frequency spectrum that GFP axies' eyes glow green, but it doesn't seem to bother them so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back