Filter help

axiegurl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon long tank for my two little axie's. I need some assistance with the filter. I am running an aquaclear 50 on my tank. Do I use the carbon bag in the filter, or do I just need the sponge and the bio bag? I swear that I read somewhere that the carbon was bad for axolotl tanks. Hopefully someone can clarify it for me. Thanks!!!

Carbon is useless unless you need to remove something from the water, like medications. It degrades after a while. For regular every day filtration, filter sponge or filter floss is good enough, and you can add ceramic media (bio bag) for the extra media. In my Aquaclear I just have the sponge, bio bag and a few rectangles of filter floss.

I agree with Cacique - you certainly don't need the carbon (and I do not believe that it is harmful to axolotls). I also use ceramic media and sponges, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back