Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eight axolotls in Utah USA

dennacerise

Reaction score
Hello from Utah, USA!

I started my axolotl adventure somewhat impulsively over a year ago when my husband and I went to buy one baby axolotl from a local classified and came back home with seven instead! We have since learned a lot (especially from caudata) and are still enjoying our seven axolotls plus one that we "rescued" from a pet shop. (Little critter was on gravel and had already ingested a piece. Most expensive axolotl ever but we couldn't bring ourselves to leave her there. :rolleyes:)

Anyways, I'm excited to finally be a member at caudata! Have just been lurking for a while... :p My first question is perhaps a bit silly but I just cannot figure out which of our axolotls are boys and which are girls! One of them is quite a bit rounder than the others, so I'm guessing that one is a girl, but that's the only difference that's apparent to me. I've read the threads on how to tell which sex an axolotl is but.... I'm just not seeing it. :confused: I will try to get some clear pictures of each one and perhaps start up another thread somewhere else, but does anyone have any advice on how to tell? :)

CJ1981

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum :happy:

If you post some pictures of your axies in the axolotl section - a top view and a side vies would be best if possible then I am sure someone will be able to sex them for you.

General rule is girls are often chunkier/more rounded in the body than boys and boys are not 'shy' - let's just say God was feeling generous the day he gave out male axie cloacas lol :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1