Came home to these all over!!!

officerPuckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sidhe
I think Puckles and Brent finally mated and have laid out their babies!!!
I came home from work tonight to see Puckles up near the top of the water laying sideways and I thought she was dead. I stroked her body to see what was going on, and it was at that moment that I realized little white eggs all over!!
This is my first experience with eggs and any advice is much appreciated, I am going to separate the plants and objects into a smaller tank and leave Puckles and Brent in their tank.
I've done some research and know what temperature to keep them at, but thats about it!
Am I too hopeful? Are these bad eggs? Good eggs?
I want to raise the babies indefinitely but I really need some help!
First timer Axie gramma over here!
Thank you!!!

f1bx1.jpg

4h5she.jpg

2nuu9fm.jpg

3355gr5.jpg

Is it best to house the larvae in an aquarium (I have a 10 gallon) or should I house them in a smaller tupperware as to keep an eye on them?

It is best to plan to raise a small number of them, They are a lot of work, since they go through a long phase where "if it moves, it is lunch", which means they will snack on their sibling's limbs, gills, and tails. So, usually it is best to separate them into individual containers until they are larger.

In a couple of days you will know if they are duds or not. See Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log for how the shape changes.

Excess eggs can often be sold via this site or given to friends. Other eggs can be humanely killed via freezing before they are too far developed.

Look up baby brine shrimp and how to hatch them. That is the easiest way to feed them before they are big enough to eat non-live food. Start your BBS hatchery before they hatch (if you haven;t done this before) so you can make sure you have a good setup and viable BBS eggs.

Congratulations and good luck!

i love seeing this tbh
when burrito spawns she starts between 6 and 8 in the evening and shes very sporradic and is twitching her tail depositing eggs on stuff
by morning she is done and i have about 300 eggs to care for
i usually remove the eggs from the tank
brief removal from water will not hurt them so long as the integrity of the gel isnt disrupted
i usually start by getting a large bowl of room temp. spring water and putting all the plants and such covered in eggs in it
i then prepare a few other small containers with room temp spring water and set them aside
the advantage of plastic plants is eggs easily slip off
sometimes i hold the plant slightly above the bowl and gravity does the work
i firmly hold my finger and thumb to both sides of the plant leaf and slide it down to the eggs to push the jelly off the leaf
once all the plants are clear i locate other objects like the hard decor in there that usually have a stray egg or 2
i usually grab the edge of the jelly with forceps and it pops off the surface without damage to the egg
i then scoop the egg up and put it in the bowl
i rinse off the plants and return them to the adult cage for shelter and in case she wants to lay more
the other containers will be rearing containers
i often put 15 in each and keep 3 or 4 containers worth
other eggs can be sold or traded or humanely frozen before 4 days old

I had at first thought of moving Puckles and Brent into a seperate tank, so I set up an aquarium with spring water and sand, but now that I think it will be easier to remove the eggs. Will it be ok if there is sand at the bottom of the tank or will that harm the growth of the embryos?

sand can impact young axies
mature ones pass it without issue but i have read this isnt the case in ones under 5 inches

But growing the eggs, and letting them develop in sand will be ok for the next week or two correct? I just have to remove the sand once they start hatching? Well, before they start hatching so they don't consume the sand?

here's some more pictures of the process I have begun, I am going to go shopping tomorrow for better and larger glass containers (looks like I will need a fair amount for these guys!!)

Puckles lay down some more beebs
oqa8eu.jpg

The plant I moved into the tank, do I have to separate all of the eggs from the plant or will they be ok on the plant?
214rwxs.jpg

Temporary containers
r8crc7.jpg

30n94qf.jpg

300qgjb.jpg

Like I asked about, all of the sand will be cleaned once I can transfer them into different containers, but is it dangerous to move the eggs again?!?!?

Sorry I am so needy, I just really want this to work out and I am a paranoid little Lotl Grandma!!

they should be fine left on the plant
as long as the sand doesnt significantly alter the water quality
make sure u can get 2 brine shrimp hatcheries going, starting the 2nd one a day after the first for a constant flow of food

You can move the eggs again it you wish. They are surprisingly tough.

I like the small rectangular Ziploc containers for the eggs/young. You need to wipe the bacteria build-up off the bottom every day or two, but you should do that with glass also.

I would love to hatch these guys on my own, but if I get too many and my local pet shop isn't interested in them I would love to mail some out to people!!

Puckles eggs look great! Today is day 4, and its snowing in my town so I had the heater on all last night- I have heard that warm water makes the eggs hatch faster? But some of the eggs are already getting more oval shaped so that is exciting! I am getting a magnifying glass coming in tomorrow so that I can really look at them in detail. I think this is such a fun experience I can't wait!

I would love to hatch these guys on my own, but if I get too many and my local pet shop isn't interested in them I would love to mail some out to people!!

Puckles eggs look great! Today is day 4, and its snowing in my town so I had the heater on all last night- I have heard that warm water makes the eggs hatch faster? But some of the eggs are already getting more oval shaped so that is exciting! I am getting a magnifying glass coming in tomorrow so that I can really look at them in detail. I think this is such a fun experience I can't wait!

i had snow here but i dont live in new mexico
i would offer to take some babies but burrito had part of a spermetaphore sticking out of her today so i am all set
warm water makes them develop faster but i dont heat mine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back