Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Calcium and axolotls?

AbrahamAxolotl

Reaction score
So recently I've noticed during water changes that the water comes out of the tub (I fill the buckets in my tub, not with a hose or the sink since my tank is large so I use larger buckets) milky. It takes only a minute or so to clear up and when it does there is no residue on the bottom or sides. I googled it and found out it could be one of two things:

a) excess oxygen that is dissipating, typically happens with lower temps (so lotl temps) and clears quickly and leaves no residue, obviously.
b) calcium, which apparently some tap water is treated with it (not sure if it's mine, when i goggled it I clicked the first result so it could have been for another state). the website said that calcium takes about 30 minutes to completely clear and will leave a residue behind.

Now, due to the fact that my water clears quickly and doesn't leave a residue I'm sure it's just extra oxygen. But it has me wondering, because I'm paranoid and like to make sure, how harmful is calcium to axolotls? If it's harmful at all? (My rule of thumb is assume EVERYTHING is harmful to axolotls until told otherwise).

rachel1

Reaction score
Calcium is not harmful to axolotls. They prefer their water to be hard, and many people add a little calcium in the form of crushed shells or coral to make their water harder.

leiafee

Reaction score
Excess air in the water clears from the bottom up, as an extra check.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1