Photo: Sexing

mizbek69

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hey guys, I know it has been posted so many time before but just looking for clarification, I have 3 axis, 2 mature Albinos and 1 juvenile melanoid (?)
I am thinking the 2 albinos are Female and the melanoid I think may be a male but only having hatched in October I am not 100% yet I have attached some photos, tired to get them as good of quality as I could with out handling them so hopefully they are ok!!!

20150202_163200.jpg Albino Side View

20150202_163124.jpg Albino side view close up tail

20150202_163143.jpg Malanoid back view

20150202_163647.jpg Albino top view

20150202_163359.jpg Melanoid back view (does his feet signal maturity?)

The melanoid is definitely too young to sex if it was born in october. How old and long are the albinos? Mature females usually have like a cone shaped cloaca so they look like they could be too young to sex too. You can't tell if they're mature or not by their feet/toes. I have some 3-month-olds that already have the dark/light fingertips.

And get rid of that gravel under the rocks asap. It can easily cause impaction and be very dangerous for axies.

i'm not sure how old the albinos are, I got them from a aquarium center and they had no idea, they are about 18cm and their feet are all munted so hard to tell, And with the gravel the rocks are pretty high above it so there is no way they can get to the gravel at all :) I know gravel causes impaction and I wouldn't have it in there if I knew they could swallow it, I assure you there is no way they can get to it :)

They are probably too young to sex if they're only 18 cm. Wait a few more months.

Not to be rude, but in the pictures it obviously shows that there are places where the axies can easily get to the gravel. They are also surprisingly strong and can move the rocks if they can get their heads between them. There's just no good reason to have such a big risk factor in your tank.

They've been on it like that for a fair time now.. but they are due for a full tank clean soon anyway so i will take the gravel out but they havent once touched it but that wasnt the point of the post :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back