Selling Axies

officerPuckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sidhe
As my eggs continue to grow and develop, I have a fair amount of friends who are wanting to adopt the little guys.
I have about 423 eggs (give or take a few) And am going to my local pet store to see if they are interested in buying some.
I bought Puckles, a GFP for 75 dollars and Brent a melanoid for 40 dollars.
Now, at my pet shop, since they are extinct in the wild, my pet shop is selling males for 89 dollars and females for 99.
So the question is, how much should I sell these guys to friends and pet shop for?!

You'll have to negotiate with the pet store for a price with them, you can sell or give away babies to your friends at whatever price you choose. My LFS buys babies from me at 1/4 the price they sell them for, but I'm in the UK.

BTW, they are not yet officially extinct in the wild, and the pet population is under no threat at all, so the pet store bumping up the price is just a load of BS.

Look at different stores in the area, call them ask. The price that the store sells it on, like Auntie Jude said, means nothing to what you will get. Last year I bought a wild type axolotl for about $20 from quite the knowledgeable LFS here in Orlando. They got their axolotl from a local breeder, only 1 every few weeks or months even, but I'm sure the price hasn't gone up over $25. I saw a 2nd one there, maybe leucistic, for around the same price a few weeks after I bought mine.

The LFS around here (SW Ohio, USA) sell axolotls for around $30.

(I would not buy from these LFS, though, since they house them in warm water with a gravel bottom with tropical fish. I hope your LFS is better educated.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back