Spotted Leopard Gecko

Nachtmare

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Trenton
So lately I have been rolling the idea of, getting a spotted leopard gecko, in my head. However I would like some more information about them nd the care of them. I just don't know where to find the gecko forums haha so if anyone has some knowledge about them or some links I would greatly appreciate it.

First off, Leopard Geckos are the greatest! but they do need special care, as in a savannah type of setup is great for them, as they avoid sandy soils in the wild. They need a small water dish, and they need to be warm in order to do normal things such as eating and digesting, and drinking. Their favorite foods are by far waxworms, grasshoppers, and crickets. If you get a skinny one, or a growing baby, feed it waxworms, calcium dusted. When it's an adult, feed it crickets and grasshoppers, calcium dusted as well. And they need a moist hide to shed their skin in. But they do have personality, because my two little angels, Cliygh and Mia are like yin yang, because Cliygh has the personality of a male, ergo hungry and lazy, while Mia loves to walk around and explore.:wacko:

"You can find gecko forums by Google searching "gecko forums" :p

Ha I know I can google it, I was meaning more so here on Caudata. But thanks all for the info I will just do some more reading up on them.

I think if my daughter had discovered leopard geckos before she discovered axolotls, we'd have leopard geckos instead. They are very cool!

You don't know what your missing!:D

I know what I would be missing though...a hundred dollars that could be spent on amphibians xD

Ha I know I can google it, I was meaning more so here on Caudata. But thanks all for the info I will just do some more reading up on them.

Oh my bad, I misunderstood :eek:

Haha no worries! Yea I have been thinking about them for a couple of months so I am slowly starting my research. Not in any big rush!

"Ha I know I can google it, I was meaning more so here on Caudata. But thanks all for the info I will just do some more reading up on them.

Well, Caudata is the order of salamanders so there's not really gonna be a gecko section, even the Anura(frogs) section isn't used very often since there are other forums and it doesn't relate to Caudata that much

I think it was a compliment:D Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!;)

Ive had 4 female leopard geckos for about 6 years. They all have their own personalities and get on well together. I hand feed them as otherwise one or two can get greedy and the smallest one is a bit timid and woulld get left out.
I use reptile carpet as a substrate and they are fine with that. It is easy to wash.
When I first got them, the man in the pet shop recommended vermiculite as a substate. I learned a real lesson here. It was hard for them to see crickets and mealworks against that colour, and also they often ate it. For the first few weeks they pooed a shiny vermiculite poo and then started looking ill. They were bunged up with the stuff. Took them off it and have been fit and healthy since.
As well as their 'carpet' they have hides and rocks and a hge cork tunnel which they love. They also have a damp shedding box.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back