Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angi
Right around a week ago 3 separate clutches hatched. In the tank I have a
Leucistic male.
Golden male.
The eggs were laid from a Melanoid female, a Golden female, and a Leucistic female. No I didn't keep the clutches separated, they were all laid in a 75gal tank and the girls thought they should have a party and all lay at the same time =\

Most of the babies seem very normal colored, albinos, goldens, wild type/melanoids, but then I have some greyishtan colored babies with albino eyes. I've never seen this. Any idea what they might grow in to?

I'll work on posting some pics cuz we all like PICTURES! :D

Those ones will albinos from dark eggs (e.g. from the leucy or mel). They start out grey-peach and change colour over the first few weeks.

aww you just busted my bubble haha I was hoping for some weird ones this time =P I also have the greyish colored ones with black eyes... leucistics in the making then?

Hi Angi!

It is nice to hear you are raising another batch - the two that we got from you last year were wonderfully raised. They are both doing well. :happy:

Oh I love to hear that! I would love to see pictures!

my 4th and final female laid her eggs all over the tank last night. Weird, she is albino but her eggs are black! I didn't think that was possible, so I'm baffled, but these guys just do that to me. :lol:

Well assuming you aren't wrong about whose eggs they are :happy:, she could be a chimera, where the chimerism isn't evident on the skin. So, her eggs reflect one genetic profile and her skin another. If so, cool!

Well my other 3 girls just laid eggs 4wks ago so I wouldn't think they'd be laying again already, BUT I also caught her in the act, so I know they're coming from her.

What I am dreaming of is a Chimera, does this mean I should horde ALL OF HER EGGS!? lol my goodness, the inn is already full from 3 clutches. :eek:

Nope. It isn't inherited, although a trait that may make it more likely (multiple embryos in one egg) might be inherited. That is what makes them so rare - it is chance that produces them, and you may not even know you have one, like, if both halves are leucistic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back