Telling the age of an axie?

AbrahamAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just curious - is it possible to tell the approximate age of an axolotl without knowing it's hatch date?
I got an axololt back at the end of July and when I got him he was approx. 4/5 inches long and I was able to tell that he was a male right away, which I thought you couldn't do until they were a little older? Around Halloween his toes changed from pale pink/white to having black tips - I read somewhere that this is an indicator of them being a year old, however, someone else has told me that this was a myth. I am wondering what you guys think - is the toes changing color to indicate age a myth or truth? If it is a myth and my axie was 4/5in in July and is now about 9.5in then how old would you say he is?

Toe tips are a complete myth - my albino babies developed them at 8 weeks.

4-5 inches would indicate 4-6months old, if he's now fully grown at 9+ inches I'd say he's now about a year old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back